D20

Keith Mottram

• Premium Member

I'm fx supervising a commercial to be shot on the D20 on thursday. I'll post a report about the shoot and the post workflow in the future. We're shooting 4.2.2 to SR. Spent some time with Arri last week and went over future plans for the D20 there is lots in stall for this little beauty, some of which I cant share on a public forum. I can tell you that if demand is great enough they will work on a system for recording anamorphic. This would be using standard anamorphic lenses. So everyone should start petitioning Arri to start spending some R and D dosh. Another interesting thing to note is that when watching the comparison test between HDCAM, 35mm, S16mm and the D20 everyone here (including the director) chose the D20 - this was without being told which was which format. Arri are also hoping for 150fps from the camera when apropriate recording mechanism is worked out (it also may be possible to record 60fps Progressive to SR in the not to distant future.

Keith

PS is it not about time to have a D20 sub-forum? the kinetta bit could always be scrapped until they actually have a camera that works.....

sounds cool. I cant wait to see how that D20 will handle. Let us know how user friendly it is and more importantly its handling when your off the sticks. I am a big proponent of digital filmmaking (hey, i guarantee you after film is dead people will still call movies film) and am sort of rooting for these cameras, though its going to be a little while before they surpass film.

wow. this is my second attempt at posting, as it was in HD only. Good call on the subforum. Ask and ye shall receive. good work moderators.

• Premium Member
Very much looking forward to your thoughts on all aspects.

Currently does the D20 do any fps other than 24p? Can it go to 22 or 20?

Currently the only available outputted speeds are 24, 25, 30fps. this is due to Sony's software in the SR1. the camera is currently capable of 3-60fps, but arri are not renting it with any other recording medium. Sony are expected to update the SR1 to handle 60 fps and Arri will be releasing a ram pack for stedicam work in the near future. there are no current plans for pure ram pack based recording as the data amounts mean that you'll spend your whole time screwing around with data transfer. the SR1 4:4:4 images look so crisp that i understand this thinking, although as the camera can record to higher resolutions and will be able to do 150fps (probably by next year) other storage mediums are being considered.

will post again after the shoot.

Keith