800 ASA

Mario C. Jackson

• Premium Member
I was wondering if anyone has shot on 800 ASA?

I have some in my camera right now. I'll let you know how it works.

I have (5) 100' rolls I could sell you cheap. Its been well cared for.

Remember, if you find 800T that its been discontinued and is probably a year or more old. If you do a search on 800T you might find John From Kodak's recommendation about using 500T and pushing it a stop or 2.

i have a 400' roll factory sealed of 7289 in my fridge if youre interested. i shot a music video with 5289 not too long ago and it was fine. definitely wise to overexpose a bit - i rated at 640asa - and found it very similar to 5279 with just slightly more grain apparent, but again this was a music video so it was intended for videotape only.

the advanages are it's speed and Vision style contrast tone and color. the disadvantages are grain, more apparent in 16mm obviously than 35mm, but its there no matter what.

but yeah, drop me a message if you're interested in the 7289 roll.

• Premium Member
i have a 400' roll factory sealed of 7289 in my fridge if youre interested. i shot a music video with 5289 not too long ago and it was fine. definitely wise to overexpose a bit - i rated at 640asa - and found it very similar to 5279 with just slightly more grain apparent, but again this was a music video so it was intended for videotape only.

the advanages are it's speed and Vision style contrast tone and color. the disadvantages are grain, more apparent in 16mm obviously than 35mm, but its there no matter what.

but yeah, drop me a message if you're interested in the 7289 roll.

If he doesn't ake you up on the roll of 7289, I might be interested.

Anyway, as for shooting 800ASA in practical lighting, it's very plausible. I believe the candlelit scenes in Barry Lyndon were shot on 100ASA stock pushed a stop (nominally equivalent to 200 ASA), with an f0.7 lens. With 800 ASA stock (2 stops faster than 200), you could deal with the same light levels with an f1.4 (2 stops slower than f0.7). That's a perfectly possible stop with a lot of available lenses, and candlelight is quite a bit dimmer than most practicals you might run into.

• Premium Member
I've never shot a foot of 5289, so take this with a grain of salt.....but it seems that the collective aggreement is that 5218 pushed a stop has finer grain. I'm guessing this is why '89 was discontinued.

Hi,

Used some 4 year old fridge stored once, I wish I hadn't. I would take 5218 any day.

Stephen