16mm full time courses in Australia

I want to do some full time course in Cinematography and after a lot of research i have realised that the schools where i always dreamt to be which are in U.S are too expensive so the only and the cheapest option left is Australia so i need advice in that regard.

All the courses offered there go deeply in 16mm and not 35mm and i want to be a 35mm Dp but then i think that its the technique which i have to learn the lighting, stocks, processes...... so does it matter 16 or 35.

Please guys help me with this, is it worth sudying for 2yrs and then come out trained in 16mm and not ne able to do what i want to do that is 35mm....

Thanks

90% of what you need to study as a cinematographer is common to 16mm and 35mm. Lots of it is common to tape and digital too.

If you just stick to what's in the course (wherever you are) you won't come out "trained" in anything. Well, you'll be trained, but not any real use to anyone. Yuo will still need experience, and you will get that by working on your own and other people's films outside of the course. That won't be restricted to any guage or format.

And think about this . . . 35mm production is actually more expensive than 16mm. Just possibly that's why you find the courses are cheaper.

Of course you could have said that Australia is renowned for its cinematographers, that it produces an astonishing number of great ones for ths size of the industry and/or its population, and that is why you really really really want to learn cinematography in Australia.

But no, it's 'cos it's cheaper.

Ah well!

;)

90% of what you need to study as a cinematographer is common to 16mm and 35mm. Lots of it is common to tape and digital too.

If you just stick to what's in the course (wherever you are) you won't come out "trained" in anything. Well, you'll be trained, but not any real use to anyone. Yuo will still need experience, and you will get that by working on your own and other people's films outside of the course. That won't be restricted to any guage or format.

And think about this . . . 35mm production is actually more expensive than 16mm. Just possibly that's why you find the courses are cheaper.

Of course you could have said that Australia is renowned for its cinematographers, that it produces an astonishing number of great ones for ths size of the industry and/or its population, and that is why you really really really want to learn cinematography in Australia.

But no, it's 'cos it's cheaper.

Ah well!

;)

So you are saying i should go for it because that's all i can afford ...fair enough .....thanks man

more advice is welcomed

• Premium Member

Upside down Sid. It was a lamenting of your motives for choosing to study in Australia - 'because it's cheaper'

Have you looked at the Australian Film Commission site? AFTRS, AFI, Film Victoria/SA/NSW? There are many very good sites from very helpful national and state government departments, and from industry organisations.