Scoopics broken light meter?

Antonio

Hi! I have scoopic M, and unfortunately it seems that its lightmeter is broken. When I push the shutter release button, the needle in the T/stop scale doesnt move at all. So, is it worth of fixing, and is it possible to do myself, or shuold I just use outer light meter?

Antti Tanttu

Hi! I have scoopic M, and unfortunately it seems that its lightmeter is broken. When I push the shutter release button, the needle in the T/stop scale doesnt move at all. So, is it worth of fixing, and is it possible to do myself, or shuold I just use outer light meter?

Antti Tanttu

Hi Antti. Here some notes for help:

1. Was the lightmeter OK before you? or when/how it failed (the best hint to discover the fault)

2. (obvius) Camera needs to be in "auto" if you want to see needle changes...

3. Can you move manually and freely the T stops? (it discards a mechanical problem)

4. The easyest solution would be if the internal switch (which power the lighmeter) fails (bad contact)

5. The worst if the lighmeter motor is broken (needs spare...) or fails the electrical circuit (posibility to be repair).

I convert this camera to super 16 and have all the schemas... Write me if I can help you.

All the best,

Lluís

Hi Antti. Here some notes for help:

1. Was the lightmeter OK before you? or when/how it failed (the best hint to discover the fault)

2. (obvius) Camera needs to be in "auto" if you want to see needle changes...

3. Can you move manually and freely the T stops? (it discards a mechanical problem)

4. The easyest solution would be if the internal switch (which power the lighmeter) fails (bad contact)

5. The worst if the lighmeter motor is broken (needs spare...) or fails the electrical circuit (posibility to be repair).

I convert this camera to super 16 and have all the schemas... Write me if I can help you.

All the best,

Lluís

Hi Lluis, and thank yuo.

1. the lightmeter was like it, when I got the camera.

2.Yes, the camera was in "auto" when I tried it.

3.The T stops move freely manually.

Is the problem in the internal switch? It keeps this small cliking sound, when I push the shutter button, could this be sign of worst scenario, the broken lightmeter motor?

All the best, and thank you for your answers

Antti Tanttu

Is the problem in the internal switch? It keeps this small cliking sound, when I push the shutter button, could this be sign of worst scenario, the broken lightmeter motor?

Antti: Do you heard the sound of the servo EE motor when you push (in "auto") the button? (move the camera with differents changes of light) If you heard it then it's a mechanical problem, between the friction spring of the servo and the gear of the T scale (anyway no easy to fix). If you don't heard anything of course it's an electrical problem. I don't think with the servo motor... You'll need to check (with anyone with electrical knowledge) the EE amplifier circuit: it's the first that you'll see when open the top cds cover (side of the battery). Write me privately if you have this option. I can send you the electrical diagram of this circuit.

All the best,

Lluís

(Scoopic M it's a really reliable camera!)

Antti: Do you heard the sound of the servo EE motor when you push (in "auto") the button? (move the camera with differents changes of light) If you heard it then it's a mechanical problem, between the friction spring of the servo and the gear of the T scale (anyway no easy to fix). If you don't heard anything of course it's an electrical problem. I don't think with the servo motor... You'll need to check (with anyone with electrical knowledge) the EE amplifier circuit: it's the first that you'll see when open the top cds cover (side of the battery). Write me privately if you have this option. I can send you the electrical diagram of this circuit.

All the best,

Lluís

(Scoopic M it's a really reliable camera!)

Hi Lluís, and thanks again!

Yes there is this small sound, when the camera is in "auto" , but I also hear similar sound when I push the aperture opening button. It Is a small cliking sound, like the motor wich doesnt start. If it is a mechanical problem, is it worth of fixing? I mean that I can alvwys use the external lightmeter, right? Camera seems working fine, exept this lightmeter problem. I have one test roll inside it, and Ishoot it and wait the results.

Like you said, it´s reilable camera. I hope.

All the best,

Antti

Hello Lluis,

Could you post a photo of your super16 converted Canon Scoopic?

Sure. Here are. No many differences externally... I changed the original glass screen for an Aaton fiber optic (difficult to see in the picture).

post-3167-1130704643.jpg

post-3167-1130704726.jpg

I'd like to get my Scoopic converted. Can you put me in contact with whoever did this work?

I did personally this full conversion years ago (I am DP as well as camera technician). It wasn't precicely easy since it was necesary to recenter with microprecision all the camera parts... The zoom, really sharp, covers very good the projection format. The camera is fully stable, except at 64 fps. I use it like B camera and for time lipse shots.

I like my Scoopic.

Nice little B camera.

i've gotten used to shooting with it: i use a CP-16R as my main camera, then I grab the Scoopic and get a bunch of quick angles, closeups, etc., handheld, or using a monopod, without having to mess with the main camera.

Really speeds up shooting.

My internal lightmeter moves in "auto", but I don't trust it.

Do these things go bad & get less accurate over time?

MP