My 16mm wedding film

Matt Wells

A while back I posted on this forum for see if anyone wanted to come and film my wedding with my Beaulieu R16.

I had a couple of excellent film students from Southampton in the UK do an excellent job. As there were two, we were able to shoot both the 16mm and DV. I have found this is an excellent combination for this sort of application! the finished film can cut between the two formats and it is very effective.

We used Fuji Eterna 500T for everything (saved having to make decisions about emulsions during the day) and used some ND when it was bright. Of course the 500T served well when the evening came.

We set up a couple of redheads in one of the rooms of the venue where there was dancing etc and just bounced the light off the ceiling. We shot all of this with the lens wide open (f2.2) and the results are fantastic.

The fast film provided just the right amount of texture, but not too much being a new breed fast emulsion.

Matt

A while back I posted on this forum for see if anyone wanted to come and film my wedding with my Beaulieu R16.

I had a couple of excellent film students from Southampton in the UK do an excellent job. As there were two, we were able to shoot both the 16mm and DV. I have found this is an excellent combination for this sort of application! the finished film can cut between the two formats and it is very effective.

We used Fuji Eterna 500T for everything (saved having to make decisions about emulsions during the day) and used some ND when it was bright. Of course the 500T served well when the evening came.

We set up a couple of redheads in one of the rooms of the venue where there was dancing etc and just bounced the light off the ceiling. We shot all of this with the lens wide open (f2.2) and the results are fantastic.

The fast film provided just the right amount of texture, but not too much being a new breed fast emulsion.

Matt

I have shot several weddings on Super 8, Pro 8 actually with great results. I also have used the Super 8 version of Eterna 500, and it was equally fantastic. Could you post some of your best film stuff on a website for all of us to see? I can't wait until the Eterna 400 and 250T arrive on these shores.

:)

First of all, congrats on your wedding.

I've thought about offering this for friends who are getting married, and actually did shoot a bit of 16mm film on my CP16 for a jewelry ad last year, but I'm wondering:

Did you find the limited run time to be a problem?

I'm guessing that's where the DV came in handy: to cover those times while someone was changing film.

Also, was the noise from the R16 a problem.

Those things are noisy as a tank!

MP

WOW a wedding video shoot in 16 mm. GREAT!

I make a lot of wedding videos with my DVX100 and shoot in film sounds great. How can you mix the footage (miniDV-film) another questiosn is if you shoot with a beulieau you only can shoot 2,40 min and then reload in chaining bag?, how can you do this?

I´d love to see some pics or stuff.

congrats :)

Edited by andres victorero

Yeah please post your work if you can. I personally would love to see it. I have been shooting 16mm for friends for and family for a while, but do have a website up if someone wants to pay for the film. I have a few samples here in QT here:

http://healyweddingfilms.com/portfolio.html

It makes a great gift but can be a little pricey, but I thoroughly enjoy doing something special for family and friends. I'm lucky to have a few college friends who are colorists that help to keep costs down. They do make gifts that would are more personal than a toaster! hehe

Best

Tim

PS for those interested I have an Arri Sr with 3 mags and shoot 30 fps and transfer at 24. I shoot mostly 7245. Transfer to digi beta (for backup and hopefully upgrading my system to a larger format somday) and dub down to DVcam, edit with final cut. Some shots I may fool around with after effects or commotion. And in a few weeks I should have two more added to the site.

Tim - some nice shots in there.

I once shot a friends wedding in 35mm! Had one role left over and was able to sneak it through on another job for free

35mm wedding

The wedding camera crews always flip when they see a 35mm camera :)

I watched some of your wedding videos and some others and have tried to figure out what works best for film and not video

I am sure there are pages and pages on wedding stuff - but the kiss, the rings, the prep (not the posed stuff) and the party afterwards with a ring light (homemade if need be!)

- and one or 2 picks ups like kids playing

thanks

Rolfe

heel_e, you have great looking footage! Personally, it's a little bit heavy on the moving around and not holding one shot for very long...a bit heavy on the white flashes also....but hey, when I make a better one, then I'll slam your work...until that day, keep up the awesome work! It lloks great overall! Thanks for posting!

Rolfe Klement, it says your clips are unavailable...did I do something wrong? The images look great, but I was really hoping to see some motion! :D

Yeah please post your work if you can. I personally would love to see it. I have been shooting 16mm for friends for and family for a while, but do have a website up if someone wants to pay for the film. I have a few samples here in QT here:

http://healyweddingfilms.com/portfolio.html

It makes a great gift but can be a little pricey, but I thoroughly enjoy doing something special for family and friends. I'm lucky to have a few college friends who are colorists that help to keep costs down. They do make gifts that would are more personal than a toaster! hehe

Hi I´m really impressed, looks superb. very nice footage. I assume that you shoot with 400´mag. How much is the cost of the "normal" 16 mm. wedding video?

thanks a lot and congrats!

• Premium Member
PS for those interested I have an Arri Sr with 3 mags and shoot 30 fps and transfer at 24. I shoot mostly 7245.

Hey Tim,

Nice work there. You likely have some very happy clients. One question, though. What lens or lenses do you use for these shoots? I'm particuarly interested in what zoom and how fast it is since these weddings can go from bright sun to dim interiors over the course of the day.

Thanks I am glad you guys like them. I actually find them fun to do but they are a bit of run and gun. So I just keep shooting. There is not much time and almost never a chance to do something twice. So as I shoot I think get a wide then go for some closeups for editing. I even use some out of focus or bad handheld camera work shots to give it a slightly home movie feel mixed in with some nicer moments and composed shots. I agree that I did some moving a little too much especially on the Margie and Chris piece and I may have overdone the flash frames on the Perry and Ivie piece so I have toned that down in the future. I would love to have a moment or two of the burned out ends of a daylight core but that is a minor addition.

I just usually use my Zeiss T2 10-100 and keep important f stops in mind that I have predetermined like full sun, full shadow, and the ball in half shadow. My SR does not have an automatic exposure feature so I have to do it manually. Which is not really a problem. Once I start shooting I can see what is too light or too dark and open or close the stop on the fly.

Yes I have three 400 foot mags. I would love to have too more for my camera pakage for all shoots.

I going to shoot my sister wedding this weekend with 16 and have family members and friends shoot super 8 at the same time, so I'll have another one (actually two, another from my cousins) in a few weeks.

I couldn't see Rolfe's movie either and would love too if you can get it up on the web.

I think I answered all the questions.

thanks

Tim

• Premium Member
I just usually use my Zeiss T2 10-100. . .

Thanks Tim. I shot my sister's wedding last February with an Aaton A-Minima, but I only had a set of Zeiss Superspeeds to work with. A nice, fast zoom would have been a huge help. It was tough because the ceremony was held at night in this very dark 300-plus year-old chapel sanctuary in Philadelphia. I also had to shoot the stills, so it was a real juggling act between switching lenses and switching cameras. I had to use enough lighting to get an exposure without making it look too much like a set. I ended up shooting 7218 500T and using Arri 650w and 300w fresnels for key and fill and a 1K for a little backlight/rimlight, then just let the light fall off in the background. Interesting moment trying to explain to the priest that he had to be sure to stand on the blue tape mark on the altar floor during the ceremony.

That was probably more stress than any real job I've taken in the last few years.

Thanks again for the info.

Thanks Tim. I shot my sister's wedding last February with an Aaton A-Minima, but I only had a set of Zeiss Superspeeds to work with. A nice, fast zoom would have been a huge help. It was tough because the ceremony was held at night in this very dark 300-plus year-old chapel sanctuary in Philadelphia. I also had to shoot the stills, so it was a real juggling act between switching lenses and switching cameras. I had to use enough lighting to get an exposure without making it look too much like a set. I ended up shooting 7218 500T and using Arri 650w and 300w fresnels for key and fill and a 1K for a little backlight/rimlight, then just let the light fall off in the background. Interesting moment trying to explain to the priest that he had to be sure to stand on the blue tape mark on the altar floor during the ceremony.

That was probably more stress than any real job I've taken in the last few years.

Thanks again for the info.

Hi I´ve shooted a lot of weeding video (miniDV) and they are very stressed job, but I can´t think to shoot with film camera, 3 fresnel, tape marks on the floor... WOW is Great but a lot of stress job. Can you post some pic or stuf?

• Premium Member
Hi I´ve shooted a lot of weeding video (miniDV) and they are very stressed job, but I can´t think to shoot with film camera, 3 fresnel, tape marks on the floor... WOW is Great but a lot of stress job. Can you post some pic or stuf?

Here's one of the still frames so you can see the result of my improvised lighting. Not exactly Rembrandt, but I had a two-hour window to figure the whole thing out. And I was by myself dragging the lights from a rented minivan into the chapel. It was a real fire drill. I actually haven't transfered the 16mm film yet, they've been making do with the Mini DV I had an assistant shoot until they can pay for the honeymoon. I looked at the head of the neg with a loupe, though. It looks very nice in terms of exposure and sharpness. Those Zeiss Super Speeds are amazing.

post-7375-1131042778.jpg

wow juggling film and stills. Way too much work for one person.

You touched on one thing I don't usually do. That is shoot the ceremony. It is usually very dark in a church or temple and I am not comfortable running around shooting during a ceremony. But that is just me. And I don't use tape marks or lighting. A zoom is way better than primes as it gives one some variety. Actually a zoom control on one hadle would be great for a camera too. I did use some lighting on one of them and it becomes another person with handheld lighting units. It can be done but complicates things. But it can be nice to make sure you get some light in a brides eyes. Overall I hope it makes my handheld work a little better and I enjoy making them. I get to shoot something with out all the other things that go into film making and edit a conceptual piece.

Tim

• Premium Member
You touched on one thing I don't usually do. That is shoot the ceremony. It is usually very dark in a church or temple and I am not comfortable running around shooting during a ceremony. But that is just me. And I don't use tape marks or lighting.

Tim

I would have done anything to aviod putting up lights, but I had gone and done a quick tech scout of the place a month before and realized it was so dark there would be nothing to shoot without them. And I really didn't want to get into minutia like tape marks but I was limited in where I could place the lights and once I did I realized that if the priest was off his mark he's cast a shadow on the couple. Fortunately, he was cool with it. I shot the altar ceremony itself mostly because it was a small affair (both bride and groom's second trip to the altar) and they didn't have all the traditional wedding setups and just a small informal party afterward. I have to say the whole experience gave me a lot of respect for wedding shooters in general.

Here's one of the still frames so you can see the result of my improvised lighting. Not exactly Rembrandt, but I had a two-hour window to figure the whole thing out. And I was by myself dragging the lights from a rented minivan into the chapel. It was a real fire drill. I actually haven't transfered the 16mm film yet, they've been making do with the Mini DV I had an assistant shoot until they can pay for the honeymoon. I looked at the head of the neg with a loupe, though. It looks very nice in terms of exposure and sharpness. Those Zeiss Super Speeds are amazing.

I´m really impressed. the pic looks very good. I imagine that your your sister is very pleased with your job.

really a great effort.

:) and the wedding´s Oscar goes to :blink: :o ........... FKP-1 for "the sister´s weddig" :D

guys guys guys,

this is some crazy talk here, wedding videos on 16mm?? I have done over 50 wedding videos, from DVCAM to Digi Beta to HD but never thought of offering a 16mm plan? And your stuff looks great! Since i do have a 16mm BL, zoom, couple of primes and 4 magazines - why not ey? I might attempt to grab few shots next time around with some short ends, whilst my assistant continues shooting HD or something....

I was actualy thinking about introducing Glidecam to the weddings, you know, for walking out of the church - just to have my assistnat flying his camera with the righ whenever i cannot squeeze in the sticks... but i figure that might scare some folks away, you know, the rig and all... i am much more enthusiastic about bringing some of these elements to my future jobs since i dont really enjoy weddings when simply shot on DV (to be honest after 50 of them they all kind of the same).

For those interested i usualy light up the entire reception even if it is for the DV or HD and make sure that as such I use a lot of stage lighting, which lifts up all the people onto the dance floor and sets a good mood for me. I use a smoke machine and bubble machine and many other little things as such to colour my frames better... the light just looks soo much better through smoke :D All this on a 90min cut and all day shooting (from grooms house to end reception) on $1500-$2200AUD (Depending on 1 or 2 cameras)...

How much would you say your 16mm wedding costs approximately?

Thanks for the isnpiring posts!

guys guys guys,

this is some crazy talk here, wedding videos on 16mm?? I have done over 50 wedding videos, from DVCAM to Digi Beta to HD but never thought of offering a 16mm plan? And your stuff looks great! Since i do have a 16mm BL, zoom, couple of primes and 4 magazines - why not ey? I might attempt to grab few shots next time around with some short ends, whilst my assistant continues shooting HD or something....

I was actualy thinking about introducing Glidecam to the weddings, you know, for walking out of the church - just to have my assistnat flying his camera with the righ whenever i cannot squeeze in the sticks...

Yes is a bit crazy but loooooks very good, it depends of your brides.

I shoot wedding videos with a DVX100 A and a Glidecam 4000 + 4" Marshall monitor. The glidecam is hand held and is a bit hardly shooting the entirely wedding... oh my back :( :( shooting with this gadget I have seen that is very hardly to realize good compositions because the cam tends to aim too high, but I think that... I have to train more. I shoot 5 weddings with Glidecam 4000. I post later some glidecam stuff.

Sweet,

glidecam up and going... i was actualy talking about using a Glidecam V20, which is a full rig, with the vest, arm and sled... a bit easier on the arms :D

I used to shoot everything handheld as i worked most with the PD170 adn 150 before that... so it wasnt bad. I always counted myself as pretty good in being steady and smooth... but the tripod just adds so much to the production value. I got a wedding again in two weeks, Ill see to use the Glidecam v20 then... i got one on in november, i might see if i can roll of some short ends on 16mm on it.

I just love the idea of doing that now :D --> 16mm Weddings... it has a ring to it... i still wonder how much it would all cost and if it would be worth it for the client? I presume they'd still want the entire day covered on DV and just the special moments on 16mm?

lav wrote:

I was actualy thinking about introducing Glidecam to the weddings, you know, for walking out of the church

Man, you could never do that here in southern california (in my experience anyway). I used to take my Glidecam along and try to do some stuff with it.....it came out great but it's a hassle, and the stills photographers always think it's their "show". Still photographers at weddings are butts and they've ruined so many of my shots. :angry:

lav wrote:

i dont really enjoy weddings when simply shot on DV (to be honest after 50 of them they all kind of the same).

Tell me about it. Try doing 250 over the past few years. :(

lav wrote:

For those interested i usualy light up the entire reception even if it is for the DV or HD and make sure that as such I use a lot of stage lighting, which lifts up all the people onto the dance floor and sets a good mood for me. I use a smoke machine and bubble machine and many other little things as such to colour my frames better...

Are you telling me YOU set all that crap up just for a wedding video? That's not the DJ's stuff? Seems like overkill to me. I hope you're charging an arm and a leg! :)

WOW a wedding video shoot in 16 mm. GREAT!

I make a lot of wedding videos with my DVX100 and shoot in film sounds great. How can you mix the footage (miniDV-film) another questiosn is if you shoot with a beulieau you only can shoot 2,40 min and then reload in chaining bag?, how can you do this?

I´d love to see some pics or stuff.

congrats :)

16mm is a superb choice for a wedding - video is really very unflattering indeed, especially to skin tones and especially if the kit is anything but high end, and even then people can look ill.

The 16mm/DV combi is something I have been doing for a while and have shot Sking trips and other things this way.

It gives the finished product a lot more impact to be able to cut between the two formats.

As for the R16 - this has recently been serviced which quietened it down a lot, but it is still noisy. However it is not too itrusive, and the actual church ceremony was captured on DV.

It is a pain having to reload all the time, however you can happily reload in daylight with the 100ft spools and they usuallly last longer than you think - key is to PLAN! decide which keyt shots are going to be captured on 16mm.

In my film these were the key shots (amongst others) we used 16mm for:

Groom and Best man leave for the church

Bride walks from house (just happened to be 100 yds from the Church) to the Church

Bride and Groom leave Church

Guests socialising at reception venue

First Dance

Other Dancing

Once you know this you get prepared and ensure that, at the beining of the first dance, you have a fresh spool of film in the camera.

Also once you are practiced the R16 can be loaded very quickly

Would love something with a 400ft mag though, even another MOS camera.

I have all the footage on my computer and have just started to piece it together so I will try and post a clip if I can work out how to do it!

Matt