16mm 100ft take-up spool

Mitsos Triantopoulos

Hello,

I recently got a Bolex EL, and the other day I bought my first two rolls of film from Kodak to test it.

Then I realized that I don't have a take-up spool.

(This is the first time I will be shooting on 16mm, by the way.)

So, I called Du-All (I am in New York City) and they quoted me $10 for a spool, which sounds like a lot. Or not?

Then, after work today I went to Rafik, and they didn't have one either...

Then I called another place, no luck either...

Is it symptomatic of the state of 16mm that I am having a hard time finding something so elemental?

Or is it just that it's such an elemental piece that it's unusual that my used Bolex came without it...?

Or did I just call the wrong places?

I guess once you start filming a lot you probably have tons of them plastic ones lying around...

But when you start?

I think I found someone selling them on eBay, but I just thought I'd ask the pros... :)

• Premium Member
Drop by any lab that does 16mm (Du Art or one of the small guys like A-1)

You should have no problem

-Sam

I deal with B&W Film Fcatory in Toronto, they always wind the reveral film back onto the Camera spool and use that to return it, SO They do tend to accumulate. I have seen ads were the short end places want 7 dollars to respool a roll from a core to a Camera spool, so perhaps the lab you were talking to assumed you wanted them to do that task.

When I was starting to play with 16mm, I actually shot one roll using the PLASTIC take up spool that Microfilm is supplied on, which is compatible but probaly would not be as light proof. Any microfilm places in your area?

http://blackandwhitefilmfactory.com/ does list :

16mm Metal Reel {Daylight Spool 100'} in black plastic box $2.00 so I am sure it is a common item for labs to stock.

• Premium Member

All you probably need is one to get started then just move the empty reel over to the takeup side for storage until your ready to shoot another roll.

I destroyed a roll trying to load it my first time with a K-3 so that was my starter reel. Pretty expensive way to get one though. :blink:

The plastic take up reels that came with my K-3 were slightly warped and kept catching the film in the camera... hense the destroyed film. Stick with good 'ole metal daylight reels if you can.

• Premium Member
I realized that I don't have a take-up spool.

(This is the first time I will be shooting on 16mm, by the way.)

So, I called Du-All (I am in New York City) and they quoted me $10 for a spool, which sounds like a lot. Or not? :)

You should try calling a few labs lab. I Los Angeles I've had no problem getting 16mm 100' daylight spools and plastic boxes from either Yale labs or Fotokem. In fact, the loading dock at Fotokem is stacked with hundreds of cans and spools, cores and bags of all sizes and they usually just let you pick through them and take what you need for free. I can't really understand anyone like DuAll charging you for the reel itself, maybe they just need to cover postage or something.

Thank you all for the posts. :D

I will try Sam's suggestion first, which are the two local (NYC) labs I didn't try yesterday. I'll head over at my lunch break if I can sneak out.

All you probably need is one to get started then just move the empty reel over to the takeup side for storage until your ready to shoot another roll.

I think that's why it so difficult to find one 'for sale.' Once you have started shooting you have more of those cores/spools/reels than you need.

Thanks for the links to Christy's and the one in Canada, guys.

Mitsos

Guest gregorscheer

I use EL and an EBM for our educational documentaries at vinestreetworks (www.vinestreetworks.com) let us know how it goes and if you need more take up spools let us know we have a bunch of them laying around.