list of stocks used in movies.

jeff striker

I've been trying to find information about the film stocks used in a handful of films, as I'm currently trying to pick out a stock for an upcoming shoot. I've seen that info in film magazines for current movies, but other than that, I'm stuck. Can anybody direct me to websites that have info like this?

• Premium Member

Unless the info has appeared in some publication of some sort, like a magazine article, there is no such database in existence of what stocks have been used on what movies.

You also have to factor in whether a DI was used or not, which can alter a stock's basic characteristics.

Maybe if you tell us the list of films, we can figure out what stocks might have been used.

• Premium Member

I usually begin research by using a search engine (e.g., Google Advanced Search) and use key words like "Title of Movie", "Cinematographer's name", "Kodak", and perhaps ("Film Code Number"). For example, do a search on "Akeelah and the Bee", "Mullen", "Kodak", and "5218".

• Premium Member

Odds are high that "Birth" was shot on 5277 (Vision 320T), underexposed.

"Rushmore" was shot in 35mm anamorphic, mainly using the 40mm Primo anamorphic lens, on 5279 (Vision 500T) and probably some 5248 (EXR 100T) for day exteriors, although their follow-up movie, "The Royal Tennenbaums", shot the day scenes on 5246 (Vision 250D).

"Days of Heaven" was shot on the only Kodak 35mm color negative at the time, 5247 (125 ASA, tungsten-balanced, eventually replaced by 5248) -- this was in the mid-to-late 1970's, a few years before Kodak or Fuji had any higher-speed stocks (first introduced in 1981-82). It occasionally had to be pushed one stop, a few times, by two stops. Fast lenses were used.