Kaminski and McAlpine

I am a big fan of Janusz Kaminski's work. He has a very formalistic approach to his lighting, I also just saw Peter Pan and I like Donald McAlpine's work in that film. The film called for a formalistic approach in terms of lighting and he certainly added to that with tons of technicolor magic. I have noticed that McAlpines style has changed over the years which I think is great because he still exploring. I would like to hear what you guys think.

Also I would be interested to find out all I can about how Kaminski's work and how he lights things. I think his best work so far has been A.I. I would be interested to hear what other people think.

Roberto Hernandez

I would respectfully disagree about McAlpine's style changing. I've been a fan of his since I saw Predator. His look always changes but that is because he lights appropriately for every film he does. Every film is different so every film should look a bit different. This is what, in my opinion, makes a good DP a great DP. Sure they all have a standard way they work and approach things, but it shouldn't be obvious in the end product.

Kaminski, on the other hand, has a more recognizable look between films. That's not to say there's anything wrong with that, but I think, as you said, a cinematographer should grow with every film and never stop learning.

• Premium Member

The type of work that McAlpine does has changed over time, so his approach has changed -- I don't know the reasons for that, whether he now actively seeks out more stylized material or it's just something that he's gradually fallen into. But he was known primarily for his naturalistic style in the 1970's & 1980's along with other Australian cinematographers of his generation. Even "Predator" and "Medicine Man", filmed in jungles, is an extension of his landscape work in Australian movies.

But his work for Baz Lurmann has pushed him into a more theatrical approach, which he is clearly capable and excellent at doing.