Camera Auctions Scam Alert on Ebay

Mitsos Triantopoulos

• Premium Member

He's back. The scam alert that started this thread. Same pictures, same description, this is the third time this camera package has been listed on eBay since September, and it sold both of the other two times. First it was auctioned by someone in Canada, then immediately by someone in Dayton Ohio, now it is someone in Canada again.

eBay Scam Camera Package

-Tim Carroll

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ian Marks

Sheesh !

I wonder if one countermeasure sellers can take to avoid having their photos "appropriated" is to use an image-editing program (Photoshop, Paint Shop) to "watermark" their pictures (I think there's even some "freeware" for Windows that does this). The watermark should go right across the image so that it can't be cropped out. I used to see copyright notices and watermarks on Ebay auctions from time to time and thought the sellers were being a bit paranoid, but no longer.

Just gotta love his answer. Don´t really think he knows who does what on a filmshoot.

Q: Funny - this outfit looks exactly like others I've seen on ebay.

Jan-06-06

A: Indeed, you may have recently seen this film package on ebay. The first time I auctioned it, the buyer didn't come up with the money. The second time it didn't sell. AND a just a short while ago (when I didn't have it listed), there was a scammer on ebay who COPIED my previous listing into his/her own auction and tried to scam people out their money! I reported them to ebay and the matter was delt with. So, now I'm offering this package once again on ebay. It truly is a wonderful camera. In fact, I just had a few local guys from the film industry looking at it and they marvelled at what great shape it's in. For their age, these cameras have usually seen a lot of wear and tear, but this one is in exceptional condition.

• Premium Member

I sent an "Ask the Seller A Question" message to dikdog6 asking him to prove he actually possesses the camera by shooting another photo of it AND PLACING A CURRENT NEWSPAPER WITH THE HEADLINES SHOWING IN THE BACKGROUND.

Edmond, OK

I sent an "Ask the Seller A Question" message to dikdog6 asking him to prove he actually possesses the camera by shooting another photo of it AND PLACING A CURRENT NEWSPAPER WITH THE HEADLINES SHOWING IN THE BACKGROUND.

Edmond, OK

You probably wont be getting a reply to that, but lets wait and see how good his photoshop skills are... and i guess, how keen he is to sell sell sell...

• Premium Member

"You probably wont be getting a reply to that, but lets wait and see how good his photoshop skills are... and i guess, how keen he is to sell sell sell..."

I thought about that, but it'll definitely take a Photoshop pro to figure out how to both morph the camera photo and put the newspaper under/behind it. If our culprit tries it, there'll be twenty-five posts here from Cinematographers who have spent a lot of time on the cross lining up green screen and rear projection shots and who will instantly notice any perspective problems! I suspect anyone good enough to pull off a faked composite off that's believable won't be wasting their time trying to sell air cameras - they'll probably have a roomful of commercial photo editing clients clamoring to be the next job in line.

• Premium Member
This camera seems to have similiar description. Could it be the same person?

Arri S package

simliar Arri S scam??

or perhasp the scam guy got his description from this legit auction

Best

Tim

That guy buys and resells the cameras. Much of his stuff is questionable. Mismatched doors and bodies. Mismatched lenses. Depends on hyping the camera to unsuspecting buyers. Would seriously doubt that any of his stuff is serviced. Picks up various pieces from other auctions and puts together packages from various parts. Would not recommend.

-Tim

"You probably wont be getting a reply to that, but lets wait and see how good his photoshop skills are... and i guess, how keen he is to sell sell sell..."

I thought about that, but it'll definitely take a Photoshop pro to figure out how to both morph the camera photo and put the newspaper under/behind it. If our culprit tries it, there'll be twenty-five posts here from Cinematographers who have spent a lot of time on the cross lining up green screen and rear projection shots and who will instantly notice any perspective problems! I suspect anyone good enough to pull off a faked composite off that's believable won't be wasting their time trying to sell air cameras - they'll probably have a roomful of commercial photo editing clients clamoring to be the next job in line.

Apparently he just took a new picture with a copy of the Calgary Herald newspaper right next to the camera:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mbenedek_sav...re2.jpg&.src=ph

• Premium Member
Apparently he just took a new picture with a copy of the Calgary Herald newspaper right next to the camera:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mbenedek_sav...re2.jpg&.src=ph

So maybe this guy is the original owner of the camera. And maybe everyone else has been stealing his descriptions and pictures. Or maybe he is scamming and has a few different eBay user names and keeps selling the same package over and over again to different unsuspecting buyers. Or maybe I am just too darn cynical. :unsure:

-Tim

• Premium Member

The new photos show the Arri and accessories moved around and with today's Calgary Herald newspaper in the background. I think our friend may be legitimate. Doesn't say anything about the camera's condition but it looks like he's got it in his possession.

He did answer my ebay question with the link to the photos. The header on his email says the reply address is: mbenedek_savage@yahoo.com so that's probably his Yahoo email address.

His Yahoo ID is: mbenedek_savage. I ran benedek as both a first and a last name on Yahoo.ca's people search and got a hit for an M. Benedek in Calgary, I'll respect his privacy and not repeat the listing here. An all Canada search for M. Benedek listed four of them.

I've had fun with this: CSI cinematography.com? ;)

ammm...

hmm...

shouldn't somebody buy the camera now? All this chasing up and checking... I feel guilty, kind of... one of us should really get it... I for one have no nead for the ST, but amm... hmmm maybe not ha? I'll just keep hanging on for that Super16 SR2...

• Premium Member
shouldn't somebody buy the camera now? All this chasing up and checking... I feel guilty, kind of... one of us should really get it...

Don't feel guilty Lav, the auction is already up to $3200, which is way more than that package is worth. I can't believe someone would pay that much.

-Tim

Don't feel guilty Lav, the auction is already up to $3200, which is way more than that package is worth. I can't believe someone would pay that much.

-Tim

why is it $3200USD? That makes no sense... no ST sells over $1200AUD... i know it got 3 primes and a zoom, but that wouldn;t raise the bar more then another $400 (if that) and the light meter couldnt be worth more then another few hundred.... am i missing somethign here? Perhaps our friend here has got a dodgy buyer that doesnt really intend on payin...

PS. I hate those guys!

• Premium Member
why is it $3200USD? That makes no sense... no ST sells over $1200AUD... i know it got 3 primes and a zoom, but that wouldn;t raise the bar more then another $400 (if that) and the light meter couldnt be worth more then another few hundred.... am i missing somethign here? Perhaps our friend here has got a dodgy buyer that doesnt really intend on payin...

PS. I hate those guys!

Yeah, I think he has someone running the price up for him. The camera does not look to be in incredibly good shape, the Angenieux could be good or maybe not, they are so hit or miss. The primes are not ones you would really want, I mean the 16mm would be okay and maybe the 35mm, but not the 75mm. And he does have the Tobin crystal sync motor, so that is a plus, but he does not say that the torque motor for the mags has been converted to 12 volt, so that may be an issue. Yeah, I was baffled that it got up that high, I smell something fishy.

We're so bitter, aren't we? :lol:

-Tim

We're so bitter, aren't we? :lol:

-Tim

I was thinking the EXACT same thing as I was reading this last post of yours... the exact same words :)

best of luck to him and the buyer mate, I trust that camera has it in it to produce another Rodriguez like flick n some nice video clips n if he is raising his own price, i am sure eBay fees will teach him the lesson :D - no thats being bitter again,... i got to stop that...

• Premium Member
This is getting addicting, almost like a sport. Here is a new one. No pictures, seller with "0" feedback, and starting price of $2900 and still the reserve is not met. It will be interesting to see if anyone bids on it.

Arriflex 16S package

-Tim

Hi,

Not even a picture!

Stephen

<_< did you see how many BLs are there at the moment? 4 or 5... i guess this is bad time for me to list mine <_<

The seller from Italy is asking for $12K AUD for his (HA!), maybe i should list mine...

actually i think i just counted 7 with one listed twice (the Italian fellow) - total 6 BLs on eBay!

• Premium Member

Okay, which one of you guys put this one up. It had to be someone on this forum who read this thread. It is absolutely ridiculous.

-Zero Feedback

-No Pictures

-Vague description

-$4000 starting bid with "Reserve Not Met"

-No shipping, has to be picked up in person

-No lenses

ARRI 16mm Cameras

:D

-Tim

Okay, which one of you guys put this one up. It had to be someone on this forum who read this thread. It is absolutely ridiculous.

-Zero Feedback

-No Pictures

-Vague description

-$4000 starting bid with "Reserve Not Met"

-No shipping, has to be picked up in person

-No lenses

ARRI 16mm Cameras

-Tim

I LOVE IT!

I am so tempted to bid! Seriously... just to see what the hell is going on there? It is CameraS, plural, maybe you get 5 of them?! :o

Did you list that Tim? That's got to be a joke, it cant be serious...

he is selling bunch of other stuff too...

Edited by lav

• Premium Member

Well, you know, he is so vague, maybe he is selling an Arriflex 16SR3, in that case, $4000 is a bargain.

But then he does mention the three lens turret and the constant and variable speed motors, so it does sound like he is referring to an Arri 16S or S/B. What is even more hilarious is that you can buy an S or S/B from Visual Products which has been completely overhauled and comes with a warranty for quite a bit less than $4000.

Oh well.

-Tim