S16 Transfer

Will Montgomery

• Premium Member

I'm doing an SD transfer of some S16 footage on Thursday. Good machine & good colorist. I'll be going to DigiBeta (for archiving) and miniDV for quick editing in Final Cut Pro.

Should I have them crop to 16:9 and then create an anamorphic image to tape like anamorphic SD footage from a DV camera? or should I just letterbox it? (hate to lose pixels...)

I'm asking this here and not in the telecine forum because more people seem to read this one...

I'm doing an SD transfer of some S16 footage on Thursday. Good machine & good colorist. I'll be going to DigiBeta (for archiving) and miniDV for quick editing in Final Cut Pro.

Should I have them crop to 16:9 and then create an anamorphic image to tape like anamorphic SD footage from a DV camera? or should I just letterbox it? (hate to lose pixels...)

I'm asking this here and not in the telecine forum because more people seem to read this one...

can't you crop it in post?

There is little to no reason these days to do anything but transfer it using the full 16x9 image. This is material that will go through a post route, in a basic version in your FCP system and then in a proper online further down the road. In both instances you should have the full image at full resolution to work with since either of these systems can be used to then convert the material to a letterbox within 4:3 if you should need it. So stay with the larger 16x9 anamorphic full frame for now and then only on final outputs would you ever drop to a lower resolution image like a 4:3 letterbox. The only use for such an image on an initial transfer these days would be in viewing dailies, but now it's just about the same price to get your dailies on a DVD dub as it is to get a VHS. The DVD looks so much better and the deck will auto-detect the 16:9 and put in the letterbox if you are viewing on a 4:3 screen. So a letterbox transfer should really be a thing of the past.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Always transfer 16x9 FHA then all the pixels on the tape are image. Otherwise you throw away 1/3 of the resolution.

Stephen