Convert 16mm 24fps to DVCAM 25fps

Abbas Yousefshahi

• 1 year later...
Hello Friends

I want to transfer shots on 16mm 24fps to DVCAM 25 fps and edit it on Liquid Edition 6.1.

The sound & video doing unsync but my sound is recorded in 24fps.

please tell me what can i doing?

Hi, I also want to transfer 8mm 16 and 18fps to miniDV and edit it on liquid edition. 8mm is only video and no sound. Can liquid acquire single frames by external imput (like sync input)?

Hi, I also want to transfer 8mm 16 and 18fps to miniDV and edit it on liquid edition. 8mm is only video and no sound. Can liquid acquire single frames by external imput (like sync input)?

• Site Sponsor

I have a liquid silver and I was a beta tester back when it was a Fast product. As far as I know liquid does not have a single frame timelapse style capture tool i.e. to work with a workprinter, etc. Any telecine house using a real telecine (rank, BTS, Spirit, etc.) can transfer to PAL and either do 25fps to 25fps or set the film speed to 24fps and record PAL 25fps. We can do it with our rank turbo with metaspeed servo.

-Rob-

• Premium Member
my sound is recorded in 24fps.

This is a common misunderstanding when working with different frame rates. Your sound was not recorded at 24FPS - there are no frames in sound. A second of sound is a second of sound. As long as your pictures are either played back at their natural frame rate, or there is a proper frame rate conversion that does not affect film length, then your sound will still be the right length.

If on the other hand you are playing your 24FPS film at 25FPS, then you need to speed up your sound by 4% and ideally pitch correct down by the same amount.

• 2 weeks later...

As David said, only sound needs processing.

Doing an 1:1 frame to frame transfer will get 24p to 25p without any quality loss. But the lenght of the footage will now be shorter. If 24 is true and accurate it will be 24/25 or 96% of its original lenght. The only thing you need to do is to get the sound to be the same lenght. This does not have to change the pitch of the audio.

The DSP process that preserves pitch is called time stretching and most editors come with some plugin for this process. The time stretching (shortening actually) required for this application is minimal so you will not get serious sound artifacts, even if the plugin is not a high end one.

You can also use another solution. A pitch shift plugin with preserve duration option set to off. This will shorten you audio and with best quality. But the pitch will change. Most people can tell the change and know something is wrong with the audio. If you leave the preserve duration on (typically that's default) you will not shorten your audio, you will just produce artifacts.

You should not use two processes at the same time for this. You are just reducing audio quality. A proper time stretching tool will do it with best quality in one pass.

Edited by Panagiotis Grapsas