More Prep for Mexico

Jason Mann

I realize a lot of this will have been asked already. Sorry about that, but I'm still a little unclear.

I am about to go to Mexico to shoot a doc with my brand new DVX100A. I am getting pretty comfortable with most of the features of the camera, and I am sure that I will shoot in 24P Advanced mode, having done a handful of tests with an old DVX.

However, though I understand what the pedestal is, and (kinda) what the detail and gamma are, I am really not totally sure of myself with those settings. Can anyone either recommend a good place to read up on those specific menu items (Gamma for Dummies? :unsure: )

or

recommend a setting for those controls that will leave me with the most latitude in post. As far as post goes, I will be removing the pulldown upon capture into FCP 4.5, and given our lack of any kind of distribution deal/filmout $$, I am planning to end up on video. (Probably DVD to start with.)

Oh, BTW, I have read the entire manual several times, to no avail. There really isn't a very good, thorough explanation of that section of image controls in the thing.

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can offer,

dirty