was tv-Series "24" shot by a sony HDR-FX1 ?

Tim Zeng

hello everybody,

someone told me that "24" was shot by sony HDR-FX1. does anyone know about it?

thanks

Tim Zeng

The first four seasons of 24 were shot on 35mm film. There was some talk about them switching to HD (using the Panavision Genesis camera) for the new season, but I don't know if they decided to go that way.

They have used the Sony PD-150 to shoot background plates for driving scenes and flying scenes. Perhaps they upgraded to the HDR-FX1 for this purpose in recent seasons? But the show itself was shot on 35 for seasons one through four.

"American Cinematographer" did a cover story on it in their Feb. 2004 issue. Read it here:

http://www.theasc.com/magazine/feb04/cover/index.html

• Premium Member
They have used the Sony PD-150 to shoot background plates for driving scenes and flying scenes. Perhaps they upgraded to the HDR-FX1 for this purpose in recent seasons? But the show itself was shot on 35 for seasons one through four.

Why the heck would they shoot background plates with a PD150? I see in the article that that is indeed what Charters says, but I just don't get it. Can anyone shed some light on why they would do this? It just doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something here?

Why the heck would they shoot background plates with a PD150? I see in the article that that is indeed what Charters says, but I just don't get it. Can anyone shed some light on why they would do this? It just doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something here?

If memory serves, it was simply very easy to shoot moving backgrounds (for which detail is not a concern) on the PD150, then project them digitally behind the actors while shooting the actual 35mm takes. Ease of use and speed.

Guest jbraver

they shoot plates for the projection on the PD150 because they are allways out of focus ( so film is kind of a waste) and Charters said he liked the motion blur of the video.