Received Arri SR2 from a friend, has High Speed Mag, is it High Speed?

Kevin Steele

• Premium Member

I've been a commercial photographer for 25 years, started DP and directing a decade ago, broadcast and streaming commercials, documentary and docu-series working with Arri Alexa, Amira, Red, Sony.  A friend picked up this SR2 in Iraq in 2003 from a Brit filmmaker, my friend was there for NatGeo filming. He has a terminal illness and gave me the Arri SR2 w/Angenieux 10-150 and an additional high speed magazine.  The SR2 is serial # 63831. I'm planning on filming with it and getting it set up (it needs a new cell or replacement battery - the casing is there but empty inside, just 2 wires).  Ideal would be to convert to a V-Mount if possible. And down the road convert to Ultra16 (DeMarco/Aranofsky).

I'm curious it has a High Speed magazine, How do I tell if the camera is a High Speed version (10-150fps)? If not can I use the high speed magazine as a standard mag? iPhone snaps attached.

kevsteele_arri_sr2_1.jpg.c01281374302817bef4a24a7a4d266da.jpgkevsteele_arri_sr2_2.jpg.b8bb9cf54f65772da939468debda34f9.jpgkevsteele_arri_sr2_4.jpg.f9752c05d53091949f6678d435a3ce1c.jpg

• Premium Member

Found my answer: The High Speed magazine is only for the Arri 16 SR-HS II.  It can be used an a standard SR/SR2 but there's a difference in the pressure plate that could cause softness or back focus on the SR/SR2. The flange depth is a little shorter on the HS mag. Going to be selling the HS mag...

• Upvote 2