Motor switch functions on the NPR??

Marcus Frakes

I have two switches and a knob on my NPR motor. One main switch by the light is obviously on/off.

The other is a smaller 3 position? and I can't seem to find what it does. Then the knob is a variable speed control pot that MUST be rotated for the sync light to come on. When the knob is clicked off, the motor runs (at the high water mark of 25fps) and the bulb does not light (per the manual this indicates no sync). So I turn on the motor and ramp up the speed until the "tach" is in the middle of 25 and leave it there?

Can anybody explain the operation of these switches/knob? There is nothing in the manuals.

My motor is a Beauvi_la?? 12 volt. The controls are similar to the picture in this post by AndrewB:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...ype=post&id=828

Thanks for the input!

Edited by Montage

I think its the sound sync thing. On some cameras there was a 'bloop' feature that would fog a few frames at the beginning of a take. I haven't used it, as I don't have a Nagra or anything like that, and I record sound to a laptop or MD or something like that. If you look on the side of the camera with the veiwfinder, there is a screw, and under that screw is a little lightbulb, that was te little light that would fog the frames at the beginning of a take. I took mine out, so the switch on the motor doesn't do anything now.

I hope that helps.

Edited by moviejoel