brokeback Mountain

I read an NYTimes article just before the film was relased which quoted several leaders of American evangelical Chrisitans (I think maybe James Dobson), they basically said their approach to this film was to ignore it, they figured trying to mobilize a boycott or some similiar protest action would feed the flames of publicity for the film. So they kept a low profile.

It's true Oliver Stone blamed the Christian right for the poor performance of "Alexander," but I remember hardly ANY organized or even loose resistance to the film from evangelical groups; I just don't think they cared. I think it was just a poor film that did badly and Stone is searching hard for a scapegoat.

With "Brokeback," I enjoyed it quite a bit, thought it was one of those films we see all too few of these days: focused storytelling, strong acting, and powerful and effective visuals. I thought if you strip away the whole gay/cowboy element, it was quite a conventional film, it was just executed extremely well on all levels. Which as well all know, is much harder to pull off than it looks.

That's right, Focus was threatening a lawsuit against him, etc...they were milking that incident for all it was worth, PR-wise. In a funny second chapter to the story, the film screened in a different theater in Salt Lake City, sold like crazy. I think $30,000 in its first weekend.

• Premium Member
Apparently Larry Miller, owner of the NBA's Utah Jazz who also owns theatres, found out only a couple of days before the film's release what it was about and canceled the already scheduled screenings.

Apparently a foul was called on Heath Ledger when he tried taking it to the hoop in overtime.

• Premium Member

I would not discriminate against the subject of the film. I just honestly did not

think the story was strong enough against the other films up for awards. I was

though very happy for the director and recognition he received. I viewed the

film twice(2nd time by insistance of my girlfriend), give a girl a DVX-100A and

you better watch out. Anyway I was not moved by the performances at all,and

found myself bored. Camera work seemed okay and cinematography in general

was okay,but I was not moved by it. Anyway on the lighter side I wore an Arri cap,

Panavision T-shirt when I went to see the film 2nd time. Stephanie has not layed off

me about this for over a week now.

Greg Gross

Oliver Stone must have been on drugs when he said that.

It assumes so many things that are false, it's not funny:

1. That either everyone in the world are Christians, or

2. That Christian protesters have so much influence over the average person, that they would all avoid his movie just because a handful of Christians told them not to.

3. That there were lots of Christian protests to begin with, (which there weren't)

4. That his movie was good to begin with (which it wasn't).

This whole "blame the Christians" stuff is just a modern version of "blame the Jews" that was ever so popular in decades past.

When are we going to stop having our select 3 groups of people that it's OK to be bigoted towards?

I just find it annoying that the marketing strategy on Brokeback seems to be just to cash in on the supposed controversy over the fact it's about gay cowboys.

Big deal. I'm sure there are gay cowboys, I just don't see how that in itself is a reason to see a film, however I do think there are a lot of people who will fall all over themselves to say any gay-themed film or TV show is a masterpiece, just so they everyone will be REEEALLLY certain they're not homophobes.

P.S. The Book of Daniel was just a poorly done show.

It was a cheesy and obviously attempt at copying the success of "Desperate Housewives", right down to the almost identical theme music.

Twelve people writing letters to sponsors is nothing compared to the fact that almost nobody watched it, (other than me that is, since my wife loved it - I saw every episode... :(.

MP