What do you think? Eclair ACL

seth christian

$2200 as a highest bid sounds reasonable as far as I can tell and it might be a pretty good deal if the camera has just been serviced as the seller states. It looks like it's an ACL 1.5 which means that it's French made and also has the French Mags which is good. The only problem that I can see is that it has the early ACL 1 viewfinder which is not the best option. The ACL 1.5 came with an Angeneuix viewfinder which was better but not nearly as good as the later, fully orientable and brighter Kinoptic Viewfinder that came with the ACL 2. You would be much better off with the Kinoptic but they may be hard to come by and may cost a couple hundred more, at least.

You might get lucky and score it for under $2000. The seller has only sold 1 other item on ebay and that fact will scare away some of your competition for sure.

I really don't know for sure, I'm no expert. I'm mostly just going by all that I've seen and read. I just got my own ACL recently so I'm still learning myself.

I guess the best advice that I can think of is to make sure that it's the 1.5 (French Made) model before bidding up towards the $2000 mark and to look into getting a Kinoptic viewfinder.

best of luck,

Edward

I use to own an ACL II and it was a great camera. I would probably call George or Bob at Optical Electro House and ask them about this specific camera. They're both nice guys and I've got service from them many times. Thier # can be found on their website at www.opticalelectrohouse.com. They also sell many upgrades for the ACL like better viewfinder etc. Better yet to even pay them a visit in Culver City if you can and bring a printed sheet of the camera ad for reference. Good luck.

Jim