cp-16r

Tim Myers

I've been given the oppritunity to own a serviced cp-16r, but a little intimidated by it. I've been playing with super 8 and would like to start learning 16. Do I need to thread the film in a dark room? Is it a noisy camera? Would it be a hassle to record sound? I'm really digging this camera, but need just a wee bit more info before forking over that much money.

Guest Ian Marks

You can load the camera (which is a bit of a chore compared to cameras such as the Arri SR and Aaton) in the daylight. You do need to load the film magazines in a dark room or changing bag, but this just involves unpacking the film, dropping it in the feed chamber, closing the door, and passing the end out of the mag at the bottom. The rest you can do in the light.

The camera is very quiet, if it's been serviced correctly. It was made for recording sync sound and has a lot of built-in sound absorbing material.

Recording sound with this camera won't be any different than with any other sync camera. The CP16r's are very solid and reliable, and good to hand-hold, too. Hope this helps.

I've got one, and I love it.

Load the mags in the dark, but spool the camera in the light. (It would be a bitch to do that in the dark!).

It will take you a bit of practice with the mags, if you can get some junk film to practice while looking, that helps.

It's a really quiet camera.

If you have the Angeniuex 12-120 lens, it's a so-so lens. Don't shoot at lower than 2.8, or it gets soft.

MP

• 6 months later...

Hey, gang, it's not that hard!

Loading the mags is a piece of cake. The trick is to crease the film lengthwise/diagnally for a couple of inches, before threading through the mag throat. The film winds in a "99" orientation in the mag. Load the feed side in the dark, the takeup side in the light.

When threading the camera, pull a loop through the door and out to the handle. That will give you about enough film to work with. Back the claw out of the gate with the inching knob, seat the film, and run the claw back in to engage. Make sure your bottom loop is 1/8 inch from the botttom of the camera. Run a bit at 12fps to make sure that it doesn't touch the bottom of the cavity. The threading is no worse than an old 16mm projector, or a Panavision 35mm camera.

The best books around for CP-relevent info are the 16mm Camera Book by Doug Underdahl, and Vern and Sylvia Carlson's "black book" The Cameraman's Handbook (I think that's what it's called).

With practice you should be able to load a mag in a couple of minutes, and thread up a pre-loaded mag in less than a minute.

Guest Ian Marks
The biggest problem I've found with these cameras is finding good prime lenses for the CP mount. I bought my CP-16R about six months ago and still haven't found anyone with the lenses I'm looking for.

Fortunately, CP to Arriflex mount adapters are available for this camera, which opens up all kinds of possibilities. The camera can also be converted to PL mount.

the CP Ultra Primes are great lenses. I have a set, and I'm extremely happy with them.

Apparently I'm not alone, because when these babies show up on ebay, they go fast, and for pretty high prices, unless you're lucky.

Super sharp, super fast!

Plus, Paul Hillman at Visual Products can convert a lot of other lenses to CP mount for you. I had him do an Angieniuex 5.9 for me.

MP

Although I've never dealt directly with the problems associated with the adapters with the CP-16R, stories of them seem to abound. Mostly I've heard of problems with getting and Arri Standard to CP adapter and having the problem that some of the arri standard lenses will twist when the lens twists, a problem that can't really be fixed. Again, I haven't dealt with it.

So for $750 for a PL mount, is it cheaper to have each lens adapted to CP? How much is it per lens?

--Tim

• Premium Member
Although I've never dealt directly with the problems associated with the adapters with the CP-16R, stories of them seem to abound. Mostly I've heard of problems with getting and Arri Standard to CP adapter and having the problem that some of the arri standard lenses will twist when the lens twists, a problem that can't really be fixed. Again, I haven't dealt with it.

So for $750 for a PL mount, is it cheaper to have each lens adapted to CP? How much is it per lens?

--Tim

I don't know offhand but having a PL mount put on the camera is probably less expensive, assuming you have more than a lens or two to convert. Plus, it gives the camera more of a future with current and future lenses.