JVC JY HD100

Curious

Do you know if JVC will upgrade the current JVC JY HD100 camera in 2006 so that the camera body is pretty much the same but that the camera can shoot 1080I as well as as 720P?

Also do you think Sony will bring out a HD Camera with a similar body to the JVC JY HD100? i.e over the shoulder mount - interchangeable lens and functions like a larger format camera but smaller and in the £4k price range?

First Question: Probably yes since they said something in their literture about the option of recording 1080i to a hd in later upgrades. Tough this is a native 720p chipset I would imagine it would only let you take advantage of 60i part of 1080i recording which allows you to film sports and such where the 30fps would look bad.

Second Question: Probably not under 4k, Sony markets themselves as a higher end brand name than Pannasonic and especially JVC. Sonys only fullsize hdv type solution is going to be the new HD XDCAM with 1/2inch ccds and recording only 1080i at 18-35 mbps onto the XDCAM discs,Price 20k.

I would be looking at Pannasonic to release some fullsize camera that records HD on P2 cards soon. I would imagine their whole line going to P2 in the next two years or so. They seem really gung ho about it. It needs to come down in price but its not so bad in terms of archiving your footage as I first thought. Just copy the P2 card on to your computer edit your program and then save only the good clips to some type of removeable disk(IE. Blueray,DVD,etc...) Dual layer DVDs are cheap now and would hold like 10 mins of footage for only a couple of bucks.

• 3 weeks later...