UK laws - photocopying money

thomas-english

I am unfortunately not having much luck finding any resources on the interweb vis a vis the rules of copying money. I have heard various things in the past.... different size... single sided etc etc.

Does anyone know the actuall rules? can I for example simply photoshop a note so it looks different (bearded man instead of the queen, or santa) but keeps the same size of note and essence of design? can anyone point me towards some resources for this.

Thankyou very much for your time.

Thomas English

• Premium Member
I am unfortunately not having much luck finding any resources on the interweb vis a vis the rules of copying money. I have heard various things in the past.... different size... single sided etc etc.

Does anyone know the actuall rules? can I for example simply photoshop a note so it looks different (bearded man instead of the queen, or santa) but keeps the same size of note and essence of design? can anyone point me towards some resources for this.

Thomas English

I assume this is for a prop? I would think that scanning a bill and changing some words to something undeniably dumb would be sufficient protection.

Thomas English

Hi

Am not familiar with the UK laws, but the main issue seems to be concern about counterfeiting.

For use as props in productions, there is no reason why you can't use real money, or create something that looks similar.

Just so long as no one can use your images to try and produce counterfeits.

Hi;

I've done wads of £50 notes before by sticking 3 or 4 of the real notes at the top and filling the rest as just slightly off white paper cut to size with a little yellow tape holding them all together, was totally convincing, I remember at the time being advized by an old time pro stills guy that colour photo copying Brit currency was not a good idea....

Olly

Guest LondonFilmMan

Thomas, my input...

O Why dont you send a nice email to the BBCs prop department asking them for their kind advice.

O Use Google.co.uk and enter some keywords

O I agree with Rachel Olivers comments

O Delegate this job to a professional

I mean, how many are viewers actually going to see....