Canon 814 XL-E or better 814 XLS for E6 stock?

Stefan Kahlert

Dear all,

I'm coming back to S8 after a break of about 5years and my humble interest in this medium is home videos. My main hobby is still photography (strictly silver) and know a thing or two about exposure and how to control it. I'm not willing to throw my money at an expensive mini-DV that will loose 30% of its value the day I take it from its packaging and to my mind video made some impressive steps over the years but for me it simply doesn't look "right". Not having sound would be another plus (no kidding here!).

I used to have a Beaulieu 4008 ZMII which I sold because it was to big and cumbersome (dark finder, slow auto-aperture, slow CdS-meter) and to much frozen money for the few occasions I used it. The footage was great and I liked to have full manual control but I decided I could do with less if it would be easier to have the camera with me. The price it fetched was a lot more than I expected, I think because I could guaranty that will be perfectly usable.

After reseraching the net back and forth I settled on the better canons. The 814 series seems to be the right choice for me as they have next to no follwoing here (read: low prices) but have a reputation for reliability and good usability with very good though not perfect optics. I would prefer to take the smallest and cheapest one which correctly exposes E6 and bw stock in auto mode (64T, 100D, Tri-X, will certainly try Velvia as soon as available).

Here is my question: Do the 814E and 814 XL-E have a usable exposure compensation or do I have to buy a 814 XLS to have that feature? How good does the manual control work with these cameras (cumbersome vs. peace of cake)? How are the finders?

Just to add that: I considered different makes, especially the Nizos but they are either to expensive or more obviously lacking features (manual exposure/compensation).

Thanks for your input!

Stefan

Hi, firstly, be prepared for a shock, e64t is nowhere near the quality of k40. People will argue with me, but it really is tooooo grainy. My advice, buy he 814xl-s, newer technology, better optics, great auto exposure. Avoid the 814e ( the 814 with the 7.5-60 lens ) as it has the worst quality zoom lens i have ever used on a camera. The same lens was fitted to the canon ds8, double super 8 camera, i owned two. The contrast,saturation and sharpness was not good. The 7.5-60 lens dates from the 1960s. I think the 814xl-e uses the same lens, but with mods, not sure though. 814xl-s, superb viewfinder, manual iris is easy to use. And of course the 814xls will read 64t, so will the xl-e i beleive. Go for the 814xls......

Guest Ian Marks

I believe that by "814 E" he's talking about the 814 Electronic, which replaced the original 814. The Electonic has an updated lens with macro feature, which is missing from the earlier camera. I have one and I think it's great. The DS-8 has the zoom from the earlier camera, although it has a good reputation. I think the general consensus is that Canon optics are excellent, with the lens on the Electronic being very fine (although obviously the design predates the XL-S). That doesn't mean that there can't be differences from sample to sample. Don't let one person's bad experience with a particular model (in this case, maybe not the model you were asking about) influence you unduly.

I don't much about the 814XL-E but the 814E will read the 64T properly, so no need to worry about the compensation abilities. In fact, even lower models of Canon will read the 64T properly.

The 814XLS is a better camera all around (I have one) but don't hesitate to get the 814E IMO. Manual exposure control also works as well as any other Canon I have tried.

(I am confused by your statement re: the Nizo's. All/most models have manual exposure control, and there is no need for compensation dial as they will all read the 64T properly as well).

Rick

Edited by Rick Palidwor

(I am confused by your statement re: the Nizo's. All/most models have manual exposure control, and there is no need for compensation dial as they will all read the 64T properly as well).

Nizos seem to be either very expensive (pro) or need thoses dreaded mercury/wein cells (800/801, still expensive) which is my main problem with them. In comparison Canons (with the exception of the XLS) can be had for the proverbial song. I think I will give the 814 Electronic a try as it can be had for much less than an 814XLS but also offers 24 fps unlike the 814 XL-E.

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

The wife bought me an 814 AZ for Christmas. So far I have only put one roll through it but it's encouraging.

I don't think the Wein batteries should be a problem. Bought a set for $14. Yes, that's a bit expensive but then, so is everything with film. Coming from a video background (20+ with NBC, etc) video is Sooooo cheap.

Anyways, looking forward to putting a few more rolls through her very soon. As an old Photography student, I love Tri-X anyway so that's the film of choice for now.

My only question is, how the heck are you guys getting such low light situations on film?

See my other thread on that.

Sean