Green Screen

Steve Ford

Hi Gang

I am shooting a person standing in front of a portible green screen. Space is limited so there will not be a lot of moving around... just a guy speaking either WS, MS or CU, and I'll cut between them later in post. My question is... which is the best setting for the camera 60i, 30P or 24P. As far as I know, the only place that this will be shown is on the internet if that makes any difference in the decision. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Steve

In theory it shouldn't make much of a difference. But from my understanding all internet stuff is turned into a progressive frame anyway, it couldn't hurt to start there. Also, this would remove any interlace "twitter" artifacting, where one field does not quite line up with the other due to a slight movement of the subject between the two fields. So I would say that a progressive format would yield a better aresult, but probably by a miniscule amount.

• Premium Member

I agree, there won't be much of a difference, though I'd personally prefer working with a progressive frame than an interlaced one. (Keep in mind that the P modes on the camera are all laid down to tape at 60i).

If you really don't have a preference aesthetically between the modes, I would probably go with 30P, since you don't have the judder frames from the 2:3 pulldown on 24P. If you want to shoot 24P, it'd be best to go with 24PA 2:3:3:2, remove the pulldown during capture, comp in a 24P timeline, then add the 2:3 pulldown back when you output.

J

Thank you so much for the imput. One of my major concerns was any blurring from rapid hand motions... my client tends to talk with his hands. I wasn't sure which mode would best capture the blur best in order to avoid that green glowing trail that can appear.

Thank you so much for the imput. One of my major concerns was any blurring from rapid hand motions... my client tends to talk with his hands. I wasn't sure which mode would best capture the blur best in order to avoid that green glowing trail that can appear.

That green glowing trail can usually be taken out by proper lighting of the green screen.

Two back lights, two front lights (zip softs work great), actors lights, and a slight hairlight.

And make sure that there is no green reflecting off the wall onto your character, I've had to have someone 10-15 feet away from the wall, to make it work, which is default.

Use Kinos!

Edited by Jmetzger