Final Cut Issues

Jon Rosenbloom

So my most recent employers are trying to capture the dvcpro50 footage we shot this weekend, but in Final Cut pro 5, they can't find dvcpro50 24p listed in the choices for the capture presets. They've tried capturing as dvcpro hd, but the program aborts. I suggested going to apple support and looking for a dvcpro50 codec to download, but that seems to have been unhelpful. I can't be sure they're using the "proper" IEEE 1394 interface.

Any ideas???

JwR

• Premium Member
So my most recent employers are trying to capture the dvcpro50 footage we shot this weekend, but in Final Cut pro 5, they can't find dvcpro50 24p listed in the choices for the capture presets. They've tried capturing as dvcpro hd, but the program aborts. I suggested going to apple support and looking for a dvcpro50 codec to download, but that seems to have been unhelpful. I can't be sure they're using the "proper" IEEE 1394 interface.

Any ideas???

JwR

Like Gordon said, it's DV50 NTSC. If you shot 16x9 make sure you select "anamorphic". There won't be any 24p to select at capture since what you have is 60i coming from the tape. If you shot 24p Advanced, then that is in your sequence presets, but the tape is still 60i on the way in (capture) it's not 24p until you do the pulldown afterward. I think I've got that right.

There won't be any 24p to select at capture since what you have is 60i coming from the tape. If you shot 24p Advanced, then that is in your sequence presets, but the tape is still 60i on the way in (capture) it's not 24p until you do the pulldown afterward.

Oh, and one other thing, if you're capturing over firewire, and if you shot in 24pAdvanced, in the Capture Settings, you should select "Remove Advanced Pulldown" cuz it can do it in real time upon capture, saving you a step, and you'll get smaller file sizes (5.5 MB/s). And yes, technically the frame rate you'll want to select in that window is still 29.97. It's your sequence that should be 23.98 fps. The nice thing about anamorphic is that if you forget to check the box for it in your Capture Settings, the only thing it screws up is the aspect of the logging window, you can always fix the clips by putting a checkmark in the Anamorphic column in your bin afterwards for each intended 16:9 clip (of course you had to shoot it that way first).