True 24P DVD playback � Can I do it?

Dave Hall

I was watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit the other day, and at one point I paused the film and watched frame by frame. I noticed that the DVD was in true 24P playback. Each press of the frame advance button revealed a new frame of the movie (no fields). Switching to the bonus features section revealed the ?as expected? 3-2 pulldown ? 3 distinct frames followed by 2 frames of 2 different fields each.

My question is, now that I own a Sony DSR-450 with 24P recording, can I make my own genuine 24P DVD, so that each press of the frame advance button reveals a new progressive frame? If so, how do I do it? I use Premiere Pro, After Effects and Adobe Encore. (I apologize if I'm posting this question in the wrong forum.)

Dave Hall

• Premium Member
I was watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit the other day, and at one point I paused the film and watched frame by frame. I noticed that the DVD was in true 24P playback. Each press of the frame advance button revealed a new frame of the movie (no fields). Switching to the bonus features section revealed the ?as expected? 3-2 pulldown ? 3 distinct frames followed by 2 frames of 2 different fields each.

My question is, now that I own a Sony DSR-450 with 24P recording, can I make my own genuine 24P DVD, so that each press of the frame advance button reveals a new progressive frame? If so, how do I do it? I use Premiere Pro, After Effects and Adobe Encore. (I apologize if I'm posting this question in the wrong forum.)

Dave Hall

Hi Dave,

Yes you can make a 24p DVD. It is explained in this article down near the bottom under the heading "24p Delivery":

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/24p_i...P_nattress.html

Thanks - that was helpful. In Premiere, it looks like I would start a new project and choose "Panasonic 24P" as a preset for the project (even though I don't have a Panasonic.) Obviously, I have some playing to do! From that article, it looks like I need to shoot in the 24P advanced mode as well. If anyone has any more tips, chime in!

Dave Hall

• Premium Member
From that article, it looks like I need to shoot in the 24P advanced mode as well. If anyone has any more tips, chime in!

Dave Hall

Yes, shoot in 24p Advanced. Then your timeline should be set to 23.98 fps. Final Cut Pro removes this advanced pulldown on the fly. I'm not familiar with how Premiere handles it.

After a few day delay of having my Sony DSR-450 repaired (for a stuck mini tape) I finally was able to do a full test of the advanced 24P mode and created a genuine 24P DVD without any pulldown. And the results: it sucks! It just looks terrible. It is working correctly - each press of the frame advance button reveals a full new frame, but in normal playback it just looks awful. Has anyone else tried this?

I did a lighting workshop a while ago with the "normal" 24P mode (with pulldown) on a 29.97 timeline, and that looked very good on DVD. Today's test: yuck.

Dave Hall