IS HDR-A1 USELESS FOR A CINEMATOGRAPHER?

ERUDITORUM

Hi all there

I have been looking around to buy a new camera to replace my broken Sony PD-170.

Since most of my work is documentary shooting I found that the small size of the HDR-A1 is very interesting, and its price is even less than a new one PD-170.

However I am a bit concerned about its capabilities, due to my background as cinematographer.

Since Sony does not clarify it properly, I would like to know whether I would have enough manual control over this camera. For example, I have understood that there is no manual control on the Iris.

Is it true?

If it is true I think it will be useless for shooting a dramatic short or a feature film. Don't you think so?

Thanks for your help.

You might find this review helpful. http://videosystems.com/mag/video_sony_hvrau/

I too am interested in this camera, upon looking at its little consumer brother at best buy I was impressed by its image quality at such a low price. The exposure can be controlled, just like the PD150. The focus seemed more accurate and repeatable than the PD150. I would think that the CMOS sensor has a more filmic lattitude, and by my perception and the reviewers comments I think you can believe that. But its not as good in low light as the Z1s ccds, and the Z1 isn't as good in low light as the PD150. Since you are shooting docs you need all the sensativity you can get. SO in that case I couldn't recommend this camera for you. I would ATLEAST get the Z1 which is rated better in low light.

Or you could just go to your cloesest best buy and look at a1s consumer brother, its the same camera just missing xlr audio and such. BUT please don't buy from the best buy, their customer service is lacking.