Is LA where it's at?

Andrew Alward

My bro and I are creating a production company, and we have arguements over having more opportunities for film-making here in Florida. I say we will have more opportunities in LA. So, my question is, can a DP make a living outside of LA? Or, is LA where it's at?

I would love working in an area I'm familiar with. But, I'm also willing to work in LA, because I love making films.

• Premium Member

Orlando has a decent market. It's where I started my career. But as a DP it will be tough. Most of the work there is commercials or music videos, and most of those bring a DP from LA. So it's gonna be tough to get work as a DP based in Orlando on stuff with a decent budget. The good news is that there is a lot of work that is available in other capacities. I see you're at Valencia, so you'll most likely be starting out as a camera assistant or juicer. If I were you I'd find work there first, before making a big move. The Orlando crews are very good, and you can learn a lot in a very short period of time. I wouldn't rush into anything.