Larry Thorpe

Max Jacoby

• Premium Member

Today I got a 1992 backissue of American Cinematographer Magazine.

Under 'What's New' there is an annoucement for a new Sony HD camera that just made my day:

'The new Sony HDC-500CCD camera, according to Sony, outstrips any known 35mm film in the combinationof three key performance parametrrs: sensitivity, noise and dynamic range'

and quoting the one and only Larry Thorpe:

'With one high-definition camera we have the speed of the fastest T-Grain 35mm film (EXR 5296) combined with the grain performance of Kodak's slowest speed 65mm film (EXR 5245)'

• Premium Member

I think Mr. Thorpe is now with Canon:

http://millimeter.com/pressroom/video_canon_names_larry/

Canon U.S.A., Inc, a subsidiary of Canon Inc. (NYSE: CAJ), announced the appointment of Laurence J. Thorpe to the position of national marketing executive for the broadcast and communications division.

A visionary who helped pioneer HD and digital production in the broadcast and motion picture industry, Thorpe recently retired from his post as senior vice president of content creation systems for the broadcast and production systems division at Sony Electronics Inc. Thorpe will help Canon expand Canon's already dominant position in the broadcast lens market.

"We are very excited about Larry's appointment," said Toru Yamasaki, director and general manager, broadcast and communications division at Canon U.S.A., Inc. "As a well respected leader in the broadcast and film industry, Larry brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise to Canon's already successful broadcast lens business."

http://www.tvtech.com/features/Big-picture...-01.21.04.shtml

It was during the Thanksgiving holiday that Larry Thorpe, one of the major figures in modern television technology, decided at age 63 to leave Sony. He was not ready to retire, but when the financially troubled manufacturer offered an attractive early retirement deal to its longtime employees, Thorpe concluded it was time to end "a marvelous, wild ride."

The end of Larry Thorpe's tenure at Sony should not be treated as a retirement, but as a milestone in an extraordinary career. He will be back soon in another role-perhaps as CEO of a technology company, consultant or author. "There's a big desire in me to write a book," he admits. No one, publishers should note, is in a better position to pen a tome on the behind-the-scenes story of digital television.

Yeah I'll miss Larry at the technical summits at the IFP market.

I remeber every year he said wait until you see what sony is about to come out with, but was very cryptic with any details. I guess it fueled excitment.

Actually he may return and begin saying wait until you see what Canon is about to come out with.