Camera set up or scene files can be transferred between DVX cameras via 1394

cable port

Sync to external time code

End search in camera mode

Smoother transition on the programmed zoom speeds

Protected scene file dial

Headphone live or from tape selector

Greg Gross

there seems to be nothing really "that new" about that camera.

I've been hearing lately about people that can Hack into the 100a, and within a few hours (their first time) unlock a tons of features, including being able to shoot 720p.

No, if there were anything but added creature comforts and improvements it wouldnt be a B model, it would be a DVX-200 (look at the history of names from every manufacturer and models they have produced. eg, XL-1, XL-1S then to the XL-2)

Now what are you saying about hacking? I have heard with a mod it can output an SDI signal, but I fail to see how a 'hack' can make it record both more resolution than the Chips can physically provide, and record more resolution than the tape system can hold (Unless this hack turns on HDV, a spec that was not availible when the 100A was released.) is this magic?

• Premium Member
I fail to see how a 'hack' can make it record both more resolution than the Chips can physically provide, and record more resolution than the tape system can hold

Indeed, it sounds like magic. What is possible is to output the RAW chip data into a computer via USB and end up with uncompressed high resolution video that is better in every way (dynamic range, noise, sensitivity) than any of the current 1/3" chip HD cameras. Just look at the frame grabs and resolution charts on their site and you'll see why some folks are excited about it.

www.reel-stream.com

No, if there were anything but added creature comforts and improvements it wouldnt be a B model, it would be a DVX-200 (look at the history of names from every manufacturer and models they have produced. eg, XL-1, XL-1S then to the XL-2)

Now what are you saying about hacking? I have heard with a mod it can output an SDI signal, but I fail to see how a 'hack' can make it record both more resolution than the Chips can physically provide, and record more resolution than the tape system can hold (Unless this hack turns on HDV, a spec that was not availible when the 100A was released.) is this magic?

Totally understood.

Second part of your post; you ever see options in a camera menu that were grey'ed out? It's just a computer, and with enough knowledge, you can unlock those features, or better yet if you are good enough, add your own. Once you put a computer into a camera, it's the same as writing code/debugging code for a computer program.

Totally understood.

Second part of your post; you ever see options in a camera menu that were grey'ed out? It's just a computer, and with enough knowledge, you can unlock those features, or better yet if you are good enough, add your own. Once you put a computer into a camera, it's the same as writing code/debugging code for a computer program.

up up, down down, left right, left right, B, A, start-- 30 lives!, uh, i mean, uncompressed 720p footage!

thank you, nintendo for teaching me the secrets of digital cinematography!

Edited by jaan

• Premium Member
I'll save that money, and take the money I'd get by selling my DVX to purchase the HVX.

Sounds like a good plan, assuming the HVX does a better job... But...

The modified DVX captures significantly more highlight detail than the HVX200 in addition to having a full stop more sensitivity than the HVX200, with less noise, and several hundred more lines of resolution than the HVX200.

For less money.

I'm not saying that is a reason to buy it, but it is good to know before spending more money on something that does less in certain key areas (resolution, noise, sensitivity, dynamic range).

Resolution Charts:

http://forum.reel-stream.com/viewtopic.php...09a7ad9bc870f0f

Dynamic Range Tests:

http://www.reel-stream.com/headline.php?id=99

I'd have to add that selectable framerates and portability are among the very few compelling reasons for me to use an HVX200 over this system -- if I had to pick between the two.