INT--RESTAURANT--DAY

Cole Webley

Tomorrow I am shooting the third and final day of a short film on S16. I have shot the whole film (all taking part in one day--during the day) on 7217. Tomorrow I will shoot on 7217 but I may shoot some on 7246 (because I don't have anymore 17).

My question is this: How do you suggest I should light the scene that all takes part at a table. The table is approx. 25ft from large windows coming from their left side. I want to be able to give them a soft back light w/ 4ft Kino flos w/ Daylight tubes w/ 1/2 CTO for a slightly warmer back light...I don't know if I should key them with the practical light or should I supplement w/ some 1200w HMI's (which are the bigest lights that I have) through some diffusion (I have 4x's of Opal, 216, 250, and some Lightgrid).

Any suggestions. I hope I have made my questions clear. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

-C

i think you're gonna have to bring up the overall fill quite a bit to keep the sense of daylight. the falloff from the windows is probably great and if you add backlight, especially warm, you'll end up in a day for night situation. perhaps key them with a couple of 1200's through some frost and shoot one in the ceiling or bounce off some foamcore? or build a "wall of kinos" between them and the window if you still want the really soft daylight from a window feel. just suggestions. oh, and how big was this place again?

/matt

Edited by mattias

Just wrapped from the shoot...long three days, gotta love those low budget student shoots. I ended up lighting the interior restaurant with the 1200w either through a 4x of opal or later in the day they were moved closer to the talent and bounced off some foam core then added some rim light with 2' and 4' kinos just out of frame w/ 1/2 CTO. Worked o.k. just wish I would have had more time to light.

Thanks for the advice.

-C