One Mistake

Hi,

I've been reading for a while, but this is my first time posting. I've been a loader for about a year. I have heard that every new person starting out gets one or two mistakes where they are allowed as under the label or "learning". I am always made nervous when I hear horror stories about ACing gone bad. I have heard that the only way for a career to end (in loading) is if you expose a roll of film. I have heard stories about loading messing up part of the image, such as one story I heard about a loader with a florescent wristwatch, but still leaving it usable. Could scratches cause a loader to lose his career? I have heard that two minutes of scratched film would not even cost a loader the job that he is doing at the time. I'm trying to sort all of this information out, and see what jeopardizes a career and what is just considered "bad" or "careless". Also, to change topic abruptly, I plan to keep posting here, so its a pleasure to meet all of you. Thanks.

• Premium Member

Obviously flashing an exposed roll of film is pretty much the worst thing you can do. The next worst thing is to load the wrong filmstock. You should never let anyone hurry you while you have your hands in a changing bag. I am always pretty anal about unloading. I always tape up the can inside the changing bag (most people do it outside). If you are shortending and loading a new roll at the same time things can get a bit crowded. It is important to always know where each can is and what goes in it.

Some other things you should look out for:

Always checking if the mag is closed properly by pulling the lid. On some Arri mags (435 and LT) the lid can close but not completely if the lid locks are not turned all the way. This actually happened to me while I was doing tests with Eduardo Serra on 'Girl with a Pearl Earring'. Inside the mag was our only roll of the then not yet released 5218. In the end the roll was fine, nothing got flashed. Obviously I told Eduardo and he was remarkably cool about it.

If you push/pull the filmstock, never forget label the can with the exposed filmstock as well.

If you are using a darkroom on a truck label the on/off positions on the lightswitch. Since you are relying on power from a generator you have a way of knowing if the light is really switched off or if the generator is off. You don't want to be unloading and suddenly the light comes back on.

Make sure that you always have enough filmstock for the take in your mag. If in doubt, reload. This also means labelling your short-ends correctely and always giving yourself a bit of a margin of error. You don't want to run out while an actor is giving a great performance. I worked on a shoot with Al Pacino this winter and obviously with him run outs are a big no-no. This was especially stressful since we had huge dialogue scenes and we never knew how long each take was going to be.

It is unlikely that you will get blamed for scratches, that is mostly a mechanical propblem.

• Premium Member

The worst thing a loader can do is to flash a roll of film, and then say nothing about it.

I know of many stories that a loader flashed the film, and told no one. The next day, the dailies come back fogged . . . the loader is sent home.

The most common mistake that most newer guys make is hoping that by some divine stroke of luck the film will be fine. This rarely ever happens.

If production breaks a set down, and then has to re shoot it is way more money than to tell the DP (or 1st, what ever you are more comfortable with) that you fu**ed up immediately.

There is a strong chance you will not be fired if you speak up as quickly as possible. There is a very strong chance you will be fired if you don't speak up and they find out the next day.

Kevin Zanit