buying a shotgun mic NEED HELP!

Guest krnxboy91

Guest krnxboy91

Hi I'm trying to buy an affordable good-quality shotgun mic. Im interested in using it to make some movies. my budget is less than $150. i googled and researched for a long time and came with the conclusion of buying either the Audio-Technica ATR-55, Azden SGM-X, Rode Videomic, or the Sennheiser 300. I'm trying to narrow it down. i read review about the ATR-55 and read that it was crappy and made a lot of noise! Is the Rode Videomic and the Sennheiser 300 ideal for making movies, or for just normal every-day casual shooting? Please help to make a wise decision! I really don't want to regret this purchase! Thank you all!

well one thing I might tell you is that you MUST get the microphone off of the camera. You can have a very expensive camera-mounted shotgun and come away with horrible sound. You end up recording a lot of handling noise - the zoom motor, panning the camera etc. etc.

If you can't afford a wireless mic transmitter/receiver (Sennheiser makes a nice unit for $500), I'd advise you to buy a 25 foot length of microphone cable, an inexpensive lavaliere, or shotgun mic, and then learn how to record some clean audio.

It's a common misconception that recording dialog from an actor 15 feet away with a camera-mounted mic will yield good results. Just doesn't work that way. The mic on top of your camera is for ambient sound, for backup sound - that's about it.