Audio quality in a driving car with open windows

Guest Rod Blackhurst

Guest rodblackhurst

Couldn't really find a subtopic for this post so here we go.

INT. RENTAL CAR - DAY

Scott is staring back at Dave.

VACHEL

(Looking in the rearview) *insert dialogue here that I don't want to give away just yet, especially because I'm not sold yet on the current words*

Dave chuckles, smiles, and looks out the window. He reaches out the lowered window, and watches the rushing wind push back on his closing and opening hand.

Any idea how to get away with shooting this so that the rush of the air doesn't kill the audio. I think that it won't be necessary to see the open window meaning I might shoot Vachel who is driving and then just cut to a back seat shot of Dave reaching out the window, reacting to what Vachel has said. But if I do need to see the window open in the back for continuity any ideas how to make this work?

Cheers and thanks!

Rod Blackhurst

ADR seems likely in this instance. I like the idea of using a cut so you can avoid shooting the dialouge with the window open, but if the window is open and you are driving at any kind of speed (greater than 20mph) I think wind noise would be above what your are willing to accept. But like any mic setup, get the mic close. Lapells work good, though you have to add reverb, eq compression and ambient noise on top of them most times.