Panasonic HDX 400

M. John Reynolds

Hi there all

I'm about to start shooting and directing a small series of projects for a UK broadcaster. Currently doing the format dance. I think I've figured out how to twist the buget (I have a Digi beta buget) to shoot on HD (PANASONIC HDX 400. Not the Varicam unfortunately) and I'm hoping someone here has some advice about post.

Transfers here in the UK seem like money for old rope. I'm desperate to have that money on the screen rather than into machine time and I'm looking for a post work-around work flow.

Currently it's transfer DVCPRO HD rushes to DVCAM. Digitise into AVID. Edit. EDL to HD online & conform.

My editor is fab but really only knows AVID and we're editing on an AVID EXTREME (We can upgrade to Extreme HD) the Producer owns. So No direct into FCP (if indeed that is truely possible)

Any of you folk have any advice it'd be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Final Cut Pro offers real time editing with DVCPRO HD. It works great and you can do it all via firewire. For 1080i, you will need a G5. No need to offline/online. That workflow is quickly becoming old school.

Chris Bell

• 3 months later...
Hi again

Just found out it's AVID DVexpress (?) and I've been told we can upgrade to HD

Again, any help would be much appreciated

If you upgrade to the latest version of Avid Express Pro HD, you can import and cut DVCPro HD from P2 cards just like final cut.

• 3 months later...