Some help with a few questions please

Hi, I thought this was the best place for this thread. I'm still in high school, graduating soon though. I've always been interested in film and photography and just wanted to know what exactly do you have to do to become a camera operator or cinematographer. Personally, I'm interested in making documentaries, if that little bit of info will help. Any info will help because I truly don't know what I want to do and just asking questions to get started on a path.

just wanted to know what exactly do you have to do to become a camera operator or cinematographer. Personally, I'm interested in making documentaries, if that little bit of info will help.

I hope you are planning to continue your education. A major in journalism, a minor in film might be something to consider. Buy an inexpensive video camera and put an editing program on your computer. Shoot a documentary about the thing you are most interested in. Live, breathe and eat film and plan on eating a lot of film as you may not be able to afford food for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I thought this was the best place for this thread. I'm still in high school, graduating soon though. I've always been interested in film and photography and just wanted to know what exactly do you have to do to become a camera operator or cinematographer. Personally, I'm interested in making documentaries, if that little bit of info will help. Any info will help because I truly don't know what I want to do and just asking questions to get started on a path.

any good film program will give you room to grow into your own and discover your path. many programs use cross disciplinary training so as you are given an overall education. USC is probably the forerunner in this model. filmschool is no different than any other major in that their goal is to make you a well rounded individual with room to find your voice and express it. many who enter in one discipline end up in another through the experience. many of the schools look for applicants that are open to this exploration. visit the schools, talk to the students, talk to the professors, you'll be more at ease during the application process, i assure you. just be yourself through it all.

hope that helps.