Amatuer Drama Video Lighting

This is the first time I'll be making a video where I try to light the scene with anything but practical lights, and where I'm following a script and using a decent camera. The movie will mostly take place in houses, with actors talking. I figured I'd light the scene using a 3-point lighting system, but I've only read about it. I have 1000W of lighting from home depot, I think they're halogen lights. The problem with this is that they're bright, but I need a fill light and a background light. There is also shots that are on location, and I've never had to do location lighting, or any lighting, before. I need to shoot some scenes at night, but these are not on location.

I've been studying movies for a few months now, since I started writing the script for my drama. I figured out that the biggest difference between all my own productions and professional productions is lighting. That makes a huge difference. Before I shoot my film I want to have a firm knowledge of lighting. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for lighting guides, but I am about to search google. This is my first time at this forum and I know I'm stupid for asking questions that I should've researched first. I think the night lighting will be the most difficult. Thanks.

If you have the time to read a book before you start shooting I would recommend "Placing Shadows" Lighting Techniques for Video Production by Chuck B.Gloman. This book assumes no proir knowledge of lighting and covers all the questions you have raised in your posting.

If you dont have time to read a book then go and spend a day with someone who is involved with lighting maybe at a local theatre. I know in my city there is a monthly lighting day at the theatre where you can have a go at rigging some lights and seeing the effect they have. This is by far the quickest way to learn. Lighting is really a doing rather than a reading about thing.

Oh yeah get hold of some copies of American Cinematographer they have some nice pics showing the lighting in films you can then watch the DVDs and see the effects created by the lights they are using.

And if you do nothing else but remember this golden rule you wont go far wrong.."Less is more!"

try to create some shadows and add depth and separation from you background.

Oh yeah and the very best of luck!!