Releases: to get or not get permission

GeorgeSelinsky

Okay, I have heard that the number one rule is to get a release from any face that appears in your movie. Me and my coproducer have done a good job in this regard.

However, in one instance I clearly filmed several people at a parade. They are in a medium shot, and yes, they are recognizable for four seconds. This parade was a public event in New York City. I really want to cut this into my film and I'm sure there's no way I will find out whom they are.

As a still photographer I recall the rule was that if someone was in a public place and you snapped a still of their face, you were in the cool. If you were in a private area that is a different story.

Now, we all know that the papparazi take pictures and videos of celebrities everywhere, public or private places. They then sell these images to tabloids and TV for big bucks. I am sure as hell that in most cases they got no releases, yet these people seem to be immune to any problems (I am sure they have good lawyers of course).

What is the story, why are the papparazo immune to this and Mr. Joe Indie Filmmaker has a different set of rules that apply?

Also, what can I do to defend myself from any problems, if a release is impossible to secure?

- G.

These are private citizens at a public event. The event status makes it okay for you to use, as long as you do not excessively focus and dwell on these people.

News footage is excepted from this rule, as is any footage of celebrities as they are considered "newsworthy" and therefore open to the public.