Lensbaby on a K-3?

Matt Lazzarini

I wonder if anyone's ever tried using a Lensbaby on a K-3 or other 16mm camera. There's a version available with an m42 mount. All lensbaby focal lengths are 50mm from what I can gather.

I've heard conflicting comments about this lens. Detractors say it's cheaply made, but for every negative comment I've heard positive things. And some of the stills I've seen look pretty nice.

Maybe these could be used as a cheap alternative (and let's face it, if you're using a K-3 as I am, cheap is the operative word :P ) to swing and tilt lenses? Don't know, could be a useful item for music videos.

For those interested in this lens, check out this website for info and examples:

http://www.lensbabies.com/

I wonder if anyone's ever tried using a Lensbaby on a K-3 or other 16mm camera. There's a version available with an m42 mount. All lensbaby focal lengths are 50mm from what I can gather.

I've heard conflicting comments about this lens. Detractors say it's cheaply made, but for every negative comment I've heard positive things. And some of the stills I've seen look pretty nice.

Maybe these could be used as a cheap alternative (and let's face it, if you're using a K-3 as I am, cheap is the operative word :P ) to swing and tilt lenses? Don't know, could be a useful item for music videos.

For those interested in this lens, check out this website for info and examples:

http://www.lensbabies.com/

It sounds like an interestinf idea, and being a K-3 enthusiast myself I'd love to see it in action, my one concern is the fact that the focal length is like 68mm, and on 16mm thats pretty extreme.

Guest Josh Gannon

You can find fairly cheap bellows extensions in m42 mounts which allows you to put what ever m42 lens you want on the front of it.

with a bit of modification I assume that it would be possible to use these for a tilt/shift effect.

Josh Gannon

It sounds like an interestinf idea, and being a K-3 enthusiast myself I'd love to see it in action, my one concern is the fact that the focal length is like 68mm, and on 16mm thats pretty extreme.

True, it would only be useful for closeups or medium shots from far back, but from my limited experience with swing and tilt lenses, they work best as closeups anyway. Plus there's a Raynox .65x converter for it that'll change it from 50mm to 35mm, so there is that option.