Rating Hi Con

Hi,

I am shooting a short sequence outdoors on 16mm Hi-Con stock. What should I rate ifor the ASA in the following situations:

1. overcast sky (negative)

2. overcast sky (reversal)

3. clear sky (negative)

4. clear sky (reversal)

I had never shot on this stock before, hence need some advice in getting good exposures. And if possible share some experience in shooting Hi-con stock!

• Premium Member
Hi,

I am shooting a short sequence outdoors on 16mm Hi-Con stock. What should I rate ifor the ASA in the following situations:

1. overcast sky (negative)

2. overcast sky (reversal)

3. clear sky (negative)

4. clear sky (reversal)

I had never shot on this stock before, hence need some advice in getting good exposures. And if possible share some experience in shooting Hi-con stock!

What particular "Hi-Con stock" are you using? How is it being processed (developer, time, temperature)?

You may be able to calculate a starting exposure from the published sensitometric data, but in general, most of these films are very slow, somewhere in the single digit EI ratings. You need to run lots of tests to zero in on an exposure that gives you the "look" you want, especially since "Hi-Con" goes hand-in-hand with almost no latitude.

Remember, some of these stocks do not have the correct perforations and pitch for camera use.