Bullet Cams

Ben Drickey

I am researching using bullet cams in a production for a POV and would like to get some insight on:

1. color models to recommend

2. shoot direct to drive or record wireless transmission (looking for advice and suggestions)

3. workflow suggestions

I typically shoot with a DVX100a and FCP for editing. Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

I am researching using bullet cams in a production for a POV and would like to get some insight on:

1. color models to recommend

2. shoot direct to drive or record wireless transmission (looking for advice and suggestions)

3. workflow suggestions

I typically shoot with a DVX100a and FCP for editing. Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

What is your final media? Are you going to the web, dvd, film? What type of activities do you want to film? How long will recording sessions be? These are some factors to consider. I have shot a lot of "helmet cam" footage using both bullet lenses and mini-dv mounted cameras. Most consumer bullet lenses are low resolution single-chip and fully auto (gain and exposure). This can cause a real swing in the overall quality of the footage.

What is your final media? Are you going to the web, dvd, film? What type of activities do you want to film? How long will recording sessions be? These are some factors to consider. I have shot a lot of "helmet cam" footage using both bullet lenses and mini-dv mounted cameras. Most consumer bullet lenses are low resolution single-chip and fully auto (gain and exposure). This can cause a real swing in the overall quality of the footage.

I am looking to create pieces for a website. Helmet cam is about right. I am going to put these on people working inside of a baseball stadium and want to capture the authenticity of their experience with the crowd. So I need to figure out a way to capture some audio at the same time. Tell me more about the helmet cam rig as well as the mini DV camera. Ultimately, i am thinking of the type of camera used on Fear Factor with the ability to record picture and sound. Is this type of thing recorded direct to a drive?

Again, thanks for your info!

I am looking to create pieces for a website. Helmet cam is about right.

Most of the helmetcam setups are composed of a lens unit, power supply (batteries), a mic, cables, and a mount. You will need to provide your own recording device. Typically a small mini-dv camera which has an RCA input connection will work fine.

Check out these companies for helmet camera setups:

http://www.viosport.com/

http://www.helmetcamera.com/

There's some good information on the sites that explain much of what you are asking.