Bolex H-8 and Zeiss Ikon Voigtlander Questions

arabbit

Hey folks,

Just wanted to know if anybody knew about the Bolex H-8 double super 8mm cam. My girlfriend has had one for a long time and upon examining it, there doesn't seem to be a gate to where the Cinqo Zoom Lens should be screwed in. Istead all we saw was a wierd sort of cut made into the side of the cavity of the port. Was just wondering if this camera works with a wierd sort of prism like pin hole that explains the lack of seeing a gate as compared to a regular 16mm Bolex.

Was also wondering about a Zeiss Ikon Voightlander Super 8mm that I bought. Was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for spare accessories for it. Had bought it in a thrift store and don't know if it ever had filter rings so that I can attatch an 85 when i use tungsten Ektachrome cartridges?

Don't know too much about the Zeiss, but, was hoping you could post your impressins of picture quality when you get the chance. I have heard some good things about sharpness of the Zeiss super 8. I wanted to hear something first hand.

Will do. Am planning to do a bit of test shooting with it using some 7240 and some Tri-x. Figure should be worth it seeing how just got it for $10 at a thrift store. Seems like a solid all metal camera with a nice big lens. Also, if anyone knows of manuals for it, would appreciate it. Maybe can find out how else to trick it out.

Hi, which lens is fitted to your zeiss, 9-36, if so, filter size is a B56 bayonet type that mounts on the front of the lens. The two zeiss cameras i have here do have the in built 85 filter, depending on the cartridge notching, on the zeiss the filter will automatically swing out the way if a daylite balanced film is inserted into the camera. If you require to manually remove the in bulit 85 filter you insert a filter key into the top of the camera, is there a slot on the top of your camera?????? If you do have a slot on the top of the camera but no filter key send me a PM, i have a spare key here i can ship to you.

Andy

ps may also have a spare lens hood, need to check my toybox first

Edited by k25rip

Hey Andy,

..So that's what that slot is!!! Was wondering when I bought it what it was used for!! Was also wondering about the piece that I found at the bottom of the box. It looks a bit like a pull tab from a soda can and fits into the before mentioned slot and has a lightbulb marking on it. I guess that's the key to switch off the internal 85 filter. As for the lens, it's a Vario-Sonnar 9-36mm, very nice still, no scratches at all. I had thought it needed adaptor rings because it has flanges on it but i guess that's for the lense hood(?). Gettting even more psyched about this camera!! Thanks a lot for the info again Andy. Just another question..there's a screw in the front of the camera, just above the lens. Any idea as to what it's used for ?..

Hi, can only assume you use that screw for mounting a lamp of some kind. You should get very sharp images with the 9-36 lens, if you can, try a roll of k40, you will be amazed how good k40 can be. The camera should also be able to read 64t. The plunger underneath the film gate is the automatic daylite/tungsten selector. Providing the daylite balanced filmstock cartridge is correctly notched, this will automatically cancel the inbuilt 85 filter. One more thing i noticed about this camera, like the leicina special and most beaulieu cameras that have inbulit 85 filters. When cancelling the 85 filter with the filter key, the 85 filter is swung out of the optical path, at the same time the 85 is replaced with a clear filter. One can only assume this is to obtain the correct back focus, perhaps this is why the zeiss along with leicina and beaulieu obtain far sharper images when wide open than any other camera i have ever used.

Andy

Edited by k25rip

hey andy,

..thanks again on the info. was just over in aberystwyth shooting a quicky short! can't wait to get it processed when i get back in the states. the camera seemed to have worked great but this is the first time i'm shooting with it so i guess you never know. will definitely get my hands on some k40 and shoot some, so thanks on that note.

..was also wondering though if you knew of anyone who used the 24fps setting and recorded some sound. was playing with the idea of renting a dat recorder and doing a sound short. given it's not crystal sync camera and it will slip like crazy..but would be a fun idea and see what can be done. it wouldn't be long dialogue takes but as long as it's in the ballpark,i'm sure i'll toy with it and sort of fix it in post.

..was also thinking of using my pd150 to just copy the projected footage from a screen. was wondering if you had any tips on that too. just don't want to or have the cash to spend on a pricey transfer so am going the "el cheapo" route. again, any advice is welcomed. thanks again...

arsenio