Eduardo Serra

Adam White

• Premium Member

I have been mighty impressed with "GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING" after finaly getting round to seeing it. Of Serra's other films I rate "UNBREAKABLE" up in my top ten and feel that "FUNNY BONES" is a little gem that didnt get much exposure outside the UK.

Anyway, with such a large back catalogue as he has on IMDB, I wondered if you guys could reccomend other Serra films that would benefit a DVD collection. . .

thanks

Guest fstop

First and foremost check out his French work with Patrice Laconte and Chabrol, his two most regular collaborators. After that look towards the Hollywood/UK stuff such as JUDE, MAP OF THE HUMAN HEART and WHAT DREAMS MAY COME.

Serra is one of my top five living DPs- His romantic, human touch is unequalled IMO. His approach is always super simple (he makes it look effortless) but always picks the right look/tool for the job.

• Premium Member

Be careful with the 'Jude' dvd though, as far as I know there is only a 4-3 Pan & Scan disc available.

Other films of his that deserves attention are 'The Wings of the Dove', for which he got an Academy Award Nomination and 'Le Mari de la Coiffeuse' (The Hairdessers Husband)

I have been mighty impressed with "GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING" after finaly getting round to seeing it. Of Serra's other films I rate "UNBREAKABLE" up in my top ten

thanks

A bit off topic, forgive me (didn't warrant a whole new thread), but I can't wait to see what Doyle and Shyamalan have up their sleeve for The Lady in the Water.

• Premium Member
Be careful with the 'Jude' dvd though, as far as I know there is only a 4-3 Pan & Scan disc available.

Other films of his that deserves attention are 'The Wings of the Dove', for which he got an Academy Award Nomination and 'Le Mari de la Coiffeuse' (The Hairdessers Husband)

I have to second these great recommendations by Max. I'll add that if at all possible try to see prints of these films in a theatre , because with the exception of "The Wings of The Dove" the picture quality of DVDs leave much to be desired.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Does anybody know if- "The Hairdressers Husband" can be obtained? I've been trying to

get it but nobody can locate a distributor. I love how beautifully he lit and photographed

women. Focals "Cinematography" has some still shots of "The Hairdressers Husband"and

a drawing of the one of the sets and light set up is shown. Hey Wendell have you heard any

good Hitchcock stories lately(humorous)?

Greg Gross