Derek Vanlint

Besides Alien and Dragonslayer, Mr. Vanlint went from the apex of innovative low-level lighting for big budget productions (with SLOW ASA film stocks) to directing/shooting Spreading Ground with Dennis Hopper (not the nadir for pro DPs, but close). Does anyone know about Vanlint and his career, besides checking his iMDB credits, or is he totally off the radar?

Evan Guilfoyle

Filmmaker

Your picture has you smiling, but you seem like a jerk with your one sentence know-it-all responses posted all over this site. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR AC ARTICLE Quotes(I HAVE READ THOSE) and I READ THE PREVIOUS THREADS BEFORE POSTING THE QUESTION. I am looking for any info on the man and why his feature film DP career ended so quickly after it began. I am looking for Mullenesque stories about the man and his career. Did his fortunes rise and fall with the box-office takes of the hit (ALIEN) and the dud (Dragonslayer)? Was he disillusioned, burnt out... or did he prefer commercial payoffs to long-haul feature shoots? The gent certainly had ARTISTRY to spare, but now only has directed a Z-Grade Dennis Hopper vehicle. Any info, of the longer than one sentence variety, would be appreciated (anecdotal or first-hand stories). Thank you all in advance. No Thanks to Wendell "Smiley" Greene!

Your picture has you smiling, but you seem like a jerk with your one sentence know-it-all responses posted all over this site. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR AC ARTICLE Quotes(I HAVE READ THOSE) and I READ THE PREVIOUS THREADS BEFORE POSTING THE QUESTION.

So Wendell responds to your post with a link to info on VanLint and you jump down his throat and call him names? Way to treat someone for taking the time to help. :(

• Premium Member

Wendell happens to be one of the most knowledgable and friendly people on this board and he doesn't

deserve your diatribe. He was simply helping. And IF you HAD read the threads he was linking to, then

why didn't you say so to begin with?

You guys all assume that people with limited posts on the site don't comb through very accessible info.

How did you all become so knowledgeable? Magazine articles - which are readily available, and the internet - which is how we are exchanging info!

Another diatribe: Cinematography.com members stop being so condescending and assuming that people who post don't know as much as you do. Mullen is a great example of being informative without talking down to the people he posts on. No one should have to explain that they have read all the previous posted info to ask a legitimate question, just to get a one sentence response like "Vanlint Dejavu". My question still stands - does anyone know why he stopped working on features?

Please stop being know-it-alls!! Your condescension ruins what could be an excellent website for people of all levels of experience.

Go back through ANY previous threads with an unjaundiced eye, and you willl see exactly how condescension ruins the quest for information.

Any and all info about Vanlint would be appreciated. Thank you.

I couldn't agree more, fstop. Your comment about the sensitive nature of working professionals careers is right on the money. I just wanted a little more (Non-Sensitve) info about a guy who is clearly admired on this public forum, Tony Brown's comment was insightful but raised more questions than answers, IMHO. If drunks and sycophants can have long careers in the biz, why did Vanlint retreat to Canadian Commercials? I was hoping for any stories or info the illustrious members of Cinematography.com could provide, as there are NO BOOKS or ARTICLES about Vanlint's work after Dragonslayer and what little info I've found piques my interest further.

Was the underexposure of Dragonslayer the nail in his Feautre DP coffin? I find that hard to believe as Paramount successfully put out The Godfather I & II on VHS and Gordon Willis still worked and was praised.

If you have any sensitive info, not for public consumption, please send it to email@chlorofilm.com. Thanks again.

P.S. You all know what I mean about the "from high on the mountain" stance that some take when posting on this site. High School Kids and everyone else deserve better than the holier than thou tone some take.

P.P.S. I apologize to Wendell Greene, but after combing this site for hours his one-sentence responses seem less than friendly when you see them ad nauseum

Edited by Evan Guilfoyle

• Premium Member

When I post, it is always with the intention to be helpful, not dismissive. I don't think I know it all and if you knew me, you'd know I'm not high minded or arrogant. That is why I'm grateful for the comments of support from Tim, Adam and Stas.

And so it saddens me that some readers of my posts infer my motives to be unfriendly. However, I find solace in the fact that I've always tried to conduct myself as a professional. I take great pride in knowing that in all of my 451 allegedly nausea inducing posts on this board have I never resorted to unjustifed personal attacks, name calling or making fun of another member's profile photograph. And I won't start now, despite being the receipient of name calling and disrespect by someone who doesn't know me.

FWIW, I went to the link I posted in the previous thread and using the contact information, I sent an email to Mr. Van Lint's agent, asking if Mr. Vanlint, his schedule permitting, would be so kind as to pay us a visit online to talk about his much admired feature film work as well as to address the question about his missing presence in feature films.

• Premium Member
FWIW, I went to the link I posted in the previous thread and using the contact information, I sent an email to Mr. Van Lint's agent, asking if Mr. Vanlint, his schedule permitting, would be so kind as to pay us a visit online to talk about his much admired feature film work as well as to address the question about his missing presence in feature films.

What a jerk!!! ;-)

Dear Wendell,

Thank you for going above and beyond to address my question. I did not intend "ad nauseum" to mean nausea-inducing. It's just that your taciturn answers IMHO appear brusque. I also hope that you do not find my comments about high-mindedness to be solely about you. It is a general statement about the tone that a lot of camera pros take WHEN DEIGNING TO ANSWER A QUESTION (whether on set or on this site). Your Ladybug Mecca videos are incredibly artful and elegant, but sometimes your posts (& others, too) on this site are not. I put out an email to his agent BEFORE I posted this and did not hear back. Hence my short-fused tone to your "Vanlint Dejavu" post. In short, it's not my place to tell grown professionals how to "comport themselves public-wise", but I would post more (& others would too) if people lost the snooty tone in their responses to posts from people not "in the club". Check out how newbies apologize before they even ask a question on a lot of NEW POSTS to see what I mean....and I think you all know what I mean by "In The Club" (not the 50 cent song).

THANKS TO ANY AND ALL WHO ARE GRACIOUS & COURTEOUS WITH THEIR KNOWLEDGE (especially Wendell)!