500T versus 250D when shooting INT w/ HMIs

Hi,

So far I have been happy with 7218 for INT and night EXT, mixed with 7245 for day EXT. I'm moving into a production in six days and this crossed my mind:

Woudl I be better fo to shoot everythhing on 250D? I have very little experience with this stock. What are the pros and cons of this approach. A standard HMI package should suffice to give a decent stop inside, and ND filters will help on the outside. Overall it would be Tungsten-less production with a very uniformed look across. EXT nights I would still shoot on 7218.

Any comments are appreciated, as I have to go to Kodak very soon...

Thank you,

• Premium Member
Hi,

So far I have been happy with 7218 for INT and night EXT, mixed with 7245 for day EXT. I'm moving into a production in six days and this crossed my mind:

Woudl I be better fo to shoot everythhing on 250D? I have very little experience with this stock. What are the pros and cons of this approach. A standard HMI package should suffice to give a decent stop inside, and ND filters will help on the outside. Overall it would be Tungsten-less production with a very uniformed look across. EXT nights I would still shoot on 7218.

Any comments are appreciated, as I have to go to Kodak very soon...

Thank you,

By all means, if you are using HMI for the interiors, stick with daylight balance film. The "look" of 250D 7205 and 50D 7201 is very similar, but the slower film has finer grain of course. Your decision seems to be whether to keep the graininess consistent for all scenes by using the 250D, or whether to go for finer grain 50D when you have plenty of light. If the slightly increased graininess of the 250D is acceptable, you might find the convenience of having only one film an advantage.

• Premium Member
One concern is that if I shoot daylight balanced stock at night - all the night practicals will turn out very warm... Other than that I don't mind using one daylight stock all over.

I assumed you still planned to use Kodak VISION2 500T Color Negative Film 7218 for the nightime exteriors.