CP-16R

Timothy David Orme

Hi all--

I have a CP-16R that I'm desperately trying to get ready for a short film I'd like to shoot within the next year.

First, I'm looking to convert it to S16. I was wondering if anyone has experience with a CP-16R (or another s16 converted camera) that could tell me what to expect and plan (/test) for with the viewfinder. Is it very difficult to plan for the area that is not covered?

Also, I need get this camera set up with a mattebox. The 16mm camera book says to get an Arri baseplate and mattebox, but I'm not sure what would be the best setup. I'm sure I won't find any matteboxes from the manufacturer, so I was curious if anyone had any ideas as to how I could manage my own.

As always, I appreciate the help.

--Tim

IIRC, In the USA, the two main refurb shops for CP16R's are Visual Products and Whitehouse. They both have good reputations and either one can perform the S16 conversion. I've got a CP16R awaiting refurb and conversion; next time I've got a few grand to spare I'll send it in, but for now I have to wait.

Guest 3ldfilms
IIRC, In the USA, the two main refurb shops for CP16R's are Visual Products and Whitehouse. They both have good reputations and either one can perform the S16 conversion. I've got a CP16R awaiting refurb and conversion; next time I've got a few grand to spare I'll send it in, but for now I have to wait.

I have an S16 CP-16R modified at Visual Products and the viewfinder was also modified with TV Safe, 1.66 and 1.85

I bought it on ebay, already modified, so I don;t know if the viewfinder mod is a standard part of their conversion.

Ed

That's great to hear. I didn't know they could convert the viewfinder also. Does anyone know if Paul at VP does that?

Also, anyone have any information on the mattebox issue? If not, are you all shooting on a Cp-16R without a mattebox? If so, how is that working?

Guest Robert Skates

I'm also looking for a matte box & rods for my CP-16R. I'm considering the ARRI SR mini rods. It seem that they could be attached below the lens mount, on the plate that covers the full auto exposure accessory port. Has any one else considered such a modification?

Robert Skates

http://sk8scamera.com

• 1 month later...

Paul Hillman at VP converted my CP to super 16. Mine was one of his first conversions, about five years ago, and it has served me well.

Paul used to be the main tech at Whitehouse. While he was there he tried to get them interested in doing S16 conversions but they weren't interested.

As far as I'm concerned, Paul invented the CP Super 16 conversion. He is the only tech I would allow to touch my CP, period. Not even Whitehouse, based on some less-than-stellar post-Paul experiences with Whitehouse.

The "viewfinder" modification is actually a re-etching of the fiber-optic groundglass.

Cavision makes some mattebox/rod systems for the XL1 that can be adapted to the CP16. You may need to call them to get the right setup.