Camera Upgrades and Lenses

Josh Hill

• Premium Member

So I have a CP16R (actually an R/A if I remember correctly) that I haven't actually used. Mostly because of two dead batteries (or one bad charger, I'm going with the batteries on this one since they used to hold a good charge when I first got the camera).

I was wondering, for those of you who own or have owned a CP-16R ... what upgrades/modifications (if any) should I get. After getting new batteries I was thinking about maybe having a PL Mount installed from Visual Products, or even splurging and going with their Super16 uprgrade.

I have the Angenieux 10-150mm zoom with it, but I would really like to get some prime lenses before I start shooting any major projects with it so that I can have a sharper image. There are only one or two places I have found online that have CP Ultra Primes (Visual Products and WhitehouseAV). What are some other 16mm primes I should look at getting?

Any other suggestions in the way of the camera? (I never got that ticking sound fixed, but I did take the camera apart and the belt seems fine, so I have no clue what it is and I can't afford to send it in until I run film through it to see if it even affects the picture/sync).

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Terry Lasater

I would like to know the answers to several of your questions as well.

It's kinda sad that nearly a month has passed without a reply to your post. :rolleyes:

Didn't see you post the first time around as I was away on a shoot. I've answered questions just like this many times on this forum, just go back in the archives in the 16mm Only conference and you should find plenty of info. The CP-16 expert wh used to be at Whitehouse AV is now at Visual Products. The CP Ultra-T primes are very good, especially for the price. Check back in the archives for more.

Yeah, the CP primes are nice.

I haven't used the Zeiss primes, but I'm sure they're great as well.

About that ticking sound...

You might want to change the clutch (that connects to the mag belt outside the camera).

Visual Products (ask for Paul) sells these rebuilt.

It's really easy to change, and in my camera, not only was it making a ticking sound, but it was eating the fishbone belts inside as well.

When I replaced this, that stopped, and the camera is quiet.

There are quite a few mods to this camera, actually.

You can get it modified to S16, which is the best way to go, of course.

There is also a built in lightmeter that they made, and I got one.

I don't usually use it, but it's kinda nice to know if my lightmeter breaks, I have an emergency backup (sort of). It's pretty much just like the meter in my Nikon FM still camera.

You set the ASA, and it gives tells you if you're over or under.

Nice if you're shooting say, a building across the river or street, and you can't run over and meter it, you can slap on a zoom, zoom in and take readings.

These are pretty rare to find though, from what I hear.

Matt Pacini