Wiring an ARRI 2.5K HMI Ballast

Guest Ken Maskrey

Guest Ken Maskrey

I picked up one of these guys a while back and I want to power it on in the field. It has the usual 60A Bates (stage) connector) and I was wondering if I could wire it to a 5500/8500 Briggs & stratton generator. The generator has the usual Edison 20A service, but it also has a 120/240 30A twistlock that should be enough power, but is I believe three-phase.

Any ideas...anyone done this before?

thanks,

Ken

Guest Ken Maskrey
Anywho I am going to assume that you are, as far as I can tell there is no reason this shouldn't work. As long as the twist lock outlet on your geni is 120v you should be okay with that connection.

Yeah, it's the 3 pin Bates that you plug into the cable that hangs off the stage box.

At any rate, I found a cable that goes from a 4-pin NEMA L14-30 plug to 4 120v edison taps. I'm figuring, I can cut the thing and mount a 60A Bates female on the end?

Seems like it'd work?

Yeah, it's the 3 pin Bates that you plug into the cable that hangs off the stage box.

At any rate, I found a cable that goes from a 4-pin NEMA L14-30 plug to 4 120v edison taps. I'm figuring, I can cut the thing and mount a 60A Bates female on the end?

Seems like it'd work?

that should work you will just be limiting your self on the amout of amperage you can run through that 60 amp bate. Even though the plug is rated for 60 amps i'm guessing the wire that comes out of the twist lock is less than that.

Guest Ken Maskrey
You can also rent a distro-box normally called a lunch box

You plug it into the 240 30A twistlock...

And then you can plug your bates to the lunch-box.

Just a suggestion

Good Luck

Cool...I've never heard of that.