16mm Telecine for editing in HD

peter bartle

I'll need to telecine some 16mm film & will be editing it in FCP. I'll be mixing it with with vision from the consumer HD formats (from the Sony Z1 & Panasonic HVX200)

I plan on editing in HD. What are my options in telecine? Which format should I transfer onto? Since the majority of footage is from the HVX200 in 720 & 1080 mode, would it be best to transfer onto DVCPRO HD?

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest transfering in telecine to HDPRO 720P since you mentioned that the rest of you project was shot with the HVX200. Obviously it would be better to go to D5 or HDCAMSR first, but that may be overkill considering you would need to pay for an expensive online unless you have a workstation that can deal with uncompressed HD material (RAID, SDI card, HD monitor..etc.) The rest of your material is HDPRO, so you might as well consider your HDPRO material to be your online material as well to simplify your post workflow. If you can afford it, go D5 and do an 108024P uncompressed online later down the road. I would recommend transfering form a Spirit 2k telecine..maybe even use a DVR box to reduce grain. Unless your deliverables specify a 1080P master, downvonverting your HDV footage to 720P will help eliminate some of the Mpeg-2 compression. plus HDPRO 720P in Final Cut Pro is a great codec to work with becuase of all the real-time performance. Best of luck.