Depth of Field Tests DVX-100/DSR-450/Pro 35 w/Prime

Jeff Regan

I did some tests to see the depth of field differences between a 1/3" CCD imager vs. a 2/3" CCD as well as a 2/3" with P+S Technik Pro 35 35mm adapter and 35mm cine prime lens. I used a Panasonic DVX 100A, Sony DSR-450WS with Fujinon 15X8 zoom lens and DSR-450WS with Pro 35 adaptor with Zeiss 65mm Super Speed T1.3 prime lens.

The DVX 100A had a focal length of 20mm at F2.8, the DSR-450WS had a focal length of 30mm at F2.8 and the Zeiss prime was at T1.3. Below are the DVX-100 and DSR-450WS with standard lens......

Jeff Regan

Shooting Star Video

www.ssv.com

post-12109-1150252033.jpg

post-12109-1150252080.jpg

Edited by Jeff Regan

The thumb nail in the post above on the left is the DSR-450WS w/Fujinon 15X8, on the right is the DVX-100A,

and I can't seem to post the 450 w/Pro 35 and prime due to forum bandwidth limitations.

Jeff Regan

Edited by Jeff Regan

Jeff,

Interesting. There is a big difference, though, between the DOF of F2.8 and with the lenses wide open, which is probably F1.6 on these cams. Would like to see a shot at F2.8, and a shot at F1.7 with 1.5 stops worth of ND on there. Of course, the relative DOF remains the same: twice as much DOF for the 1/3" cam.

Josh

Jeff,

Interesting. There is a big difference, though, between the DOF of F2.8 and with the lenses wide open, which is probably F1.6 on these cams. Would like to see a shot at F2.8, and a shot at F1.7 with 1.5 stops worth of ND on there. Of course, the relative DOF remains the same: twice as much DOF for the 1/3" cam.

Josh

Josh,

I chose to shoot both the regular lenses at F2.8 because the DVX 100A has an F2.4 max. F-stop, and while

the Fujinon 15X8 has a F1.7 max F-stop, I don't normally shoot wide open due to portholing, softening, fringing, and light level fall off, plus the DVX-100A can't open beyond F2.4, so F2.8 seemed like a good compromise.

The Zeiss Super Speeds are optimized to shoot at T1.3, so it made sense to shoot at that exposure, especially since the Pro 35 has approx. one and a half stops of light loss.

I wish I could post the Pro 35 thumbnail. You can see it at www.dvxuser.com, under "Other Cameras", but

you'll have to register.

Jeff Regan

Shooting Star Video

www.ssv.com