16mm - a good cheap first one...

Guest LondonFilmMan

Guest LondonFilmMan

I am seeking a good, cheap first 16mm camera. K3 v Bolex? Which Bolex would be comparable to the Krasnogorsk with which lens? Would anyone actually know that? Anyone have any good ideas?

• Premium Member
I am seeking a good, cheap first 16mm camera. K3 v Bolex? Which Bolex would be comparable to the Krasnogorsk with which lens? Would anyone actually know that? Anyone have any good ideas?

I own two K3's and have used a Bolex and I must say I like both. The K3's are nice, they're good for handheld shots and has a nice Zenit f1.9 17-69mm zoom, plus you can use m42 mount lenses. The Bolex is nice too because it has a turret, has nice switar primes. The problem I have with the Bolex is it's a bit cumbersome when trying to do handheld shots, and because it uses a prism instead of a mirror it blocks 25% of the light coming in, making the viewfinder very dim. The problems that I have had with the K3's were mostly due to film jams and light leaks. Not everyone has these problems but in my experiences using the K3, that's what I've encountered. As far as which Bolex would be comparable to the K3 with which lens? You should probably compare lenses rather than the box that holds the lens.

Kev