Help Buying a Camera

Hi, I am an aspiring filmaker. I have very little experience but have written a few short screenplays and am ready to see how they translate into film. Im looking for a cheap digital camera that I can get started with. I was hoping to get some recomendations on good cameras for uneder $500. All I really want to do is see how my screenplayes translate into visual scened so I really dont need anything to crazy. I am hoping to get some recomendations on cameras and/or features that a camera should have for my limited needs.

• Premium Member
Hi, I am an aspiring filmaker. I have very little experience but have written a few short screenplays and am ready to see how they translate into film. Im looking for a cheap digital camera that I can get started with. I was hoping to get some recomendations on good cameras for uneder $500. All I really want to do is see how my screenplayes translate into visual scened so I really dont need anything to crazy. I am hoping to get some recomendations on cameras and/or features that a camera should have for my limited needs.

Check out Circuit City, they have some cheap minidv camcorders for $300, or you could just borrow one from someone if they have one.

Kev

Check out Circuit City, they have some cheap minidv camcorders for $300, or you could just borrow one from someone if they have one.

Kev

If you could afford just a little bit more $$ (like $750 or $1,000), you could get a used Canon GL1 or another decent 3 chip camera with a few manual options. Having some manual control might not be a bad idea even though you don't seem to be interested in the cinematography aspect. However if $500 is a firm budget, there are quite a few cheap mini DV cameras out there. I would suggest buyinig something in the Sony line-up. They tend to hold up much better.

If you could afford just a little bit more $$ (like $750 or $1,000), you could get a used Canon GL1 or another decent 3 chip camera with a few manual options. Having some manual control might not be a bad idea even though you don't seem to be interested in the cinematography aspect. However if $500 is a firm budget, there are quite a few cheap mini DV cameras out there. I would suggest buyinig something in the Sony line-up. They tend to hold up much better.

Or you for that ultimate film look you could get a Super 8 film camera, something like a top end Nizo or Bauer and experiment with different filmstocks to get a different and contrasting visual look. Some of the top end Super 8 cameras are quite cheap and have great lenses and features like multiple speeds, fades and disolves etc. If you wan to film dialogue I would suggest going for a Nizo 6080, they are very quite of course youl will have to record your sound separately on minidsic or DAT.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul Wizikowski

yea don't do film. Sounds like you just want images but not much control over those images. If thats all you are going for, anything with a firewire port will do. So you can import your footage into your computer. Sony is certainly a good brand to start with and as Chris mentioned the 3 chip cameras (also referred to as 3 CCD which stands for charge-couple device) thats one of the first jumps in quality (as opposed to a 1 chip camera). As for other things to look at in this price range is format. MiniDV is more widely used than High8 or Digital 8 and recoreds a cleaner image.

Also its a good idea when you buy your camera to go ahead and get a UV filter that can screw onto the front of the lens. This will keep your actuall lens from getting scratched, broken, or from deterioration from the elements. And its a lot cheaper to replace a UV filter than it is the lens of the camera. Make sure the one you get is the right mm size to fit your lens.